We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Deutsch Forum (Read 1774 times)
Deutsch Forum
Jan 15th, 2008, 8:11pm

Hey All,
 We are using processing to teach several courses here in Berlin and we definitely aren't the only Deutsch speakers at it.  I've run into quite a few people who are using it for all sorts of pedagogy and non-pedagogical projects.  
 Anyway, our students find all sorts of useful tips here in english but obviously it's more comfortable to read and write in your native tongue especially when you're tearing your hair out trying to learn coding basics.
 So... what about creating another forum for german speakers (and maybe even other languages if there's an audience)?  We could set up our own phpbb or whatever somewhere else but it seems to make more sense to have something here as part of the main community..  I don't think you need to duplicate the whole tree, just make a new toplevel forum.  What do you say?

later hosen!
Re: Deutsch Forum
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2008, 9:16am

I think that it doesn't make much sense, as all your students should have an abitur and should speak english. Also you lost a big part of people that answer your questions.
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2008, 2:28pm

Quote:
Also you lost a big part of people that answer your questions.

and non german users may loose helpful information...

(anyway, I think that nothing prevents you from creating a local processing forum somewhere)
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2008, 2:43pm

hi,

I speak (kind of) german too, but i think we should stick with the english forum... for the reasons you already mentioned. I personally don't like the idea of having forums that aren't accessible to everybody.

But something that would make sense in my opinion, would be to have the reference translated into other languages. Anyway, there's lots of room for improvement with the reference pages...
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2008, 4:49pm

Sure, in an ideal world, we'd all speak esperanto or lojban.  In an ideal world, my students would all have paid attention in english class in the Gymnasium (not to mention math) and "The Simpsons" would have subtitles and not be dubbed on German TV.  

But it's not a perfect world and a lot my students have a hard time with english, especially when it involves a lot of technical jargon.  Outside of academia, there are quite a few german speakers who don't have an Abitur who won't bother to learn processing because there's little written in german to help them get started and that's unfortunate.  Having forums (and docs) in other languages would make processing more accessible, not less.

As an american living in Germany, I appreciate that I can occasionally speak english when I get into a tough spot.  Why shouldn't young designers getting started with software be afforded the same sort of help?

I can certainly setup a forum somewhere else but I thought it might be better to try to keep the discourse in one place, rather than fragmenting the community.  I imagine much of the discussion in the german forums will consist of links to conversations that have already taken place here in english.  

I guess the best argument I can come up with is one of demand.  105 million (+80 million non-native) speakers can't be wrong.
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2008, 9:54pm

i have some students too that have a hard time with english, mostly because they come from countries where english is not automatically the second language you learn ..

but, i don't think a german forum inside the discourse would be good. think about what mess it creates to have many non-english forums here. i think it would scare more people away than it would help. there has been a very successful forum in japan almost since the beginning of processing and as long as people bother to publish/blog their results and knowledge in english somewhere (processinghacks.com?) i don't mind not being able to read everything (code is code luckily) there.

(i can even offer a space for the phpbb if you need it: builtwithprocessing.org)

F
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2008, 2:26am

I totally understand the benefit of having forum sections in other languages. Using the Arduino forum as an example, the Spanish language threads flourished (I'm not sure about the current use).

But if we make a German thread, then we should make a Chinese thread, then a Turkish thread, etc. Because a number of native German speakers have advised against it here, and for the reason mentioned above, I'm not inclined to modify the forum as of now.

We are working again on translating the reference to other languages. I hope it will be resolved and it will be useful.

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2008, 6:46pm

A few umlauts never scared me off but I guess that's why I live where I do.  Anyway, if you wanna fork then you got it.  I'll post here when we get our forum running.

In the meantime, any Deutsch orentierte Volks can take a look here at my colleague Till Nagel's german language material for processing:

http://btk.tillnagel.com/
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2008, 9:29am

from my experience only one or two of my students make it to asking questions here, the rest is either silently looking for solutions or just never come here. i hope a german forum will make more of them start asking ... and after a while answering questions! so yes, please let us know once it's online.

oh, and say hi to till!

F
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2008, 9:14am

ersatz could you contact me via mail? i've asked the people owning processing.de if we could use the domain and they're willing to DNS the domain to wherever we want (we'd have to add a link and thankyou to the footer as we do here for mediatemple).

best
F
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1