We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Good place to start for making a synth program
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Good place to start for making a synth program? (Read 693 times)
Good place to start for making a synth program?
Dec 15th, 2007, 5:55pm

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice about how a beginner can get started making a synthesizer project.

I'd like to make a simple program that will receive serial data and then create sounds based on that data.

What would be a good starting point, referrences, etc.?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Tony
Re: Good place to start for making a synth program
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2007, 8:34pm

One combination that is very powerful is using SuperCollider and the p5_sc library for Processing (if you are on a mac), or just the minim library. If you want nice sounds modulated by the serial input, without the stress of programming your own synth, you could also go for promidi. Just use your favorite synth/software and talk to it via midi (playing notes, changing filters etc with control change events). But again, that works very nice on a mac, but I experienced some problems with promidi and midi yoke on a pc.
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2007, 8:54pm

Thank you. I think I'll check out the minim, initially.

I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any examples of "synchronous" serial reading for Processing. Has anyone done that?

Thank again,
Tony
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2008, 12:51am

Does the SuperCollider library not work under windows, then?

See: http://www.erase.net/projects/p5_sc/

I've not got it working yet, so I'd be extremely appreciative of any help, even if it's to tell me I'm an idiot for trying it under winXP!

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2008, 12:12am

Even with all of the new and very nice Psycollider-versions coming out (which is Supercollider for windows) I also can't figure out any way to get the p5_sc-library to work.

Has anybody else succeeded?

Thanks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1