We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
increasing video performance (Read 987 times)
increasing video performance
Dec 6th, 2007, 9:13pm

hi,

i am also pretty new to the big wide world of processing.
right now i am desperetly trying to playback video without lagging. but this seems to be a very difficult topic.

so here are my questions:

is there any way to increase the performance of a video that's simply played.

like what quicktime compressors can you suggest?
right now i used the H.264 codec

is there maybe an other library out there which plays video, and works better?

what pc or mac performance do you suggest at least for playing video files lets say 700x500?

here's the code i used maybe there's something wrong or to improve too.

import processing.video.*;
Movie myMovie;

void setup (){
 size (2200,800);
 myMovie = new Movie(this, "round_web.mov");
 myMovie.play();
   }

void draw() {
 image(myMovie, 0, 0,1100,800);
}

void movieEvent(Movie m) {
 m.read();
}

thank you

marc
Re: increasing video performance
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2007, 1:10am

Processing isn't very good with video. also see problem section on this page:
http://processing.org/reference/libraries/video/index.html

You probably need a very fast machine to get smooth video in that size. You can also try the FasterMovie class, which is faster because it's not a framegrabber as the built-in library is.
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=os_core_pde;action=display;num=1175633922
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2007, 2:15pm

thank you!

the FasterMovie class is pretty nice!
but it seems like it is really only for playing back a video.

actually i am working on an interactive video where the speed changes by using your mousewheel. so since the fastermovieclass doesn`t render single frames this might not be useful, or?

i guess compressing and memory are also big issues.
i tried the intel indeo 4.4 and it works on 576x384.

but if i go bigger and try to use the whole video (4.5min),
the video file is 985MB big and i run out of memory.
i have an intel pentium 3,2 GB CPU pc with 1gb of memory  . I tried 1000 and 1500 MB in the preferences. and additionly with opengl. it always ran out of memory.

any ideas?
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2007, 2:16pm

do you think it would help if i just increase my physical memory up to 2gb??
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2007, 2:33pm

hi

i used uncompressed movies sometimes, I think it gave best performance. Doesn't work with longer movies though, as the files get huge.
as i wrote in the fasterMovie-thread, there is a speed() method. Does it not work as expected?
You can probably get around the memory issues if you cut your video into pieces and load them when needed. But then it's probably gonna be hard to get smooth transitions between the different videos.
All in all, processing's video performance really sucks. So, before updating your hardware, maybe consider another software that's better with video. I'm quite sure that stuff like VVVV or PureData have the joggle-functionality you're about to implement already built-in.
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2007, 6:13pm

thank you a lot for your help.
it is actually fm.speed()
i got everything to run with the H264 compression.
it even runs very smooth on 700x500 and can be blown up to 1100x550, still running good!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1