We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Midi from ableton live to processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Midi from ableton live to processing (Read 1568 times)
Midi from ableton live to processing
Nov 21st, 2007, 3:59pm

hello,
i searched but only find liveapi.org adress which doesn't respond anymore.

I would like to send midi data from ableton live (or any other sequencer able to send midi data) to processing via the proMIDI library.

any ideas? experiences?

I'm stuck with hubi loopbacks interface etc.

how can i proceed?

thank you Shocked)
Re: Midi from ableton live to processing
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 7:08am

> any ideas? experiences?

I tried to get midi signals from live or flstudio, or send some signals to these apps, but I could never make it work with my emu-1616m soundcard and proMIDI.

I don't know if it's a midi routing problem or something else, but if you suceed I am interested!
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:09am

it's probably an internal (loopback) midi routing issue..

no prob to send data from my midi masterkeyboard to processing.
I just have to select the good interface number, channel etc.

but with loopback stuff, I don't succeed!
grrrrr²!

it is just a internal loopback MIDI routing tips.
I have to dig further...
I'll do this evening Smiley
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2008, 3:32pm

Hey up

If you didn't have any luck with this yet, I've cracked it. Was initially confused by the fact that, if Ableton and Processing don't get the right channels to start with, they'll never connect after that - unless you close and re-open both. Not sure what's going on there - makes editing code VERY time consuming.

But if you're still interested, lemme know. I just wrote instructions but I'm not at my music puter to check it, so wouldn't want to get a vital detail wrong! I'm also still working it out, but at least do now have Ableton telling Processing (via midi) what to do. It's a start...
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2008, 5:01pm

I am interested please post you instructions on piping out midi from ableton live to processing.
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2008, 5:23pm

Hey up

First, have a read of my call for help:

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Sound;action=display;num=1217253663

For me, Ableton to midiyoke to processing *works*, but every two or three times I change and re-run my code, processing no longer picks up the midi messages coming from Ableton. They just disappear. They were working - then they weren't. The only fix is to restart both ableton and processor. This isn't a great way to code: change line, test, oh its broken, close everything down, re-open. So I'd be interested to hear if you have the same problem.

That makes life really difficult: be sure to know whether it's the above, or a problem with your code.

Bearing that in mind, here's what I've done:

* download midiyoke and install the msi file. (Should install itself on XP by double-clicking - you're using XP, yes?) http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm

* Check it's installed - if it is, you should find midiyoke ports available in your ableton midi outs, and they should be visible when you do a print all ports in promidi.

* Make sure you enable those midiyoke output ports in ableton via preferences.

Then it should work in the same way as before, in theory. As I say, I've been having problems - works for a bit, then goes away for no apparent reason.

A good way to test is just to route a midiyoke output into another ableton track with a midiyoke midi input - the signal should come through, if its working, and be visible on that track.

I did a test signal to make sure it worked: just sending a midi clip with one or two notes out. (Note: for me, at least, midiyoke 1 channel 1 from ableton = device 0, channel 0.)

Also, if ableton is using one of your controllers, then you can't access it via midiyoke. I think maybe hubis loopback allows multiple device routing, but I haven't tried it yet.

Err... did I miss anything? Well, there are several things I haven't tried yet - like taking in controller data. But let me know if that all makes sense. I'd be really keen to hear if you have the same disappearing connection / having to restart problems.
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2008, 5:30pm

Also: I wanted to have control over a processing element AND an ableton element with one controller. Of course, Ableton is good at this - you can assign one controller to many controls. So (e.g.) I have a controller assigned to a low-pass filter, and to a variable in processor.

Now, currently I'm doing this in a crappy way and there must be a better one. I'll post when I find it. I'm - at present - using a midi track, going through midiyoke, that plays a rapid sequence of C1 notes - so its sending a series of noteOn calls. I've then put a midi effect on that track - pitch shift. It's this I've attached the controller to, so the pitch shift values come through to Processing as note.getPitch() values.

There must be a 'controller' way to do this - might try that later. But the above method could be handy if you wanted to combine it with some other noteOn element in one function.

Did that all make sense?
Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2008, 5:46pm

I am on a Mac, i just used the IAC Driver within OSX to pipe out midi from Live to Processing.  Everything seems to be in working order.  

Question:  Is the 'note.getPitch' the actual note im playing.  The last key on my keyboard gets me a pitch of 21 and 22 is the black key next to it.  I dont know the classical music note names since im just borrowing this keyboard to test this stuff out.  Assuming that i wont change the midi setting on the keyboard, will this number ever change? Is 21 = c-1 or whatever that note name is for the lowest key on a keyboard?
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2008, 5:52pm

Ee ar:

http://tomscarff.tripod.com/midi_analyser/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

Is it a two octave thing? So there's one more white note after your 22, which should be 23 / B...

Yup, note.getPitch() is the note. p.s. I'm jealous - sounds like you're not having any of the breakage problems I've encountered. I really hope I can fix it, or there'll be no ableton / processing for me... Sad
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2008, 6:08pm

Thanks for that link, very helpful.

Yeah well see if I run into those problems lol but right now i got some kick ass boxes showing up lol.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1