We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › supercollider library
Pages: 1 2 
supercollider library (Read 4778 times)
Re: supercollider library
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2008, 1:38am

The answer is no I'm afraid. You still have to define your synthesis networks in the SuperCollider language and send them to scserver first. The library only "controls" the server, manages execution etc.

SuperCollider architecture works in this client-server system where a server can be controlled by osc commands. The server does also receive synth definitions via osc but there is no library for p5 that provides this functionality as far as I know. So you'll still have to define your synthesis networks from sclang, define appropriate parameters for them, and will execute/order/control them from processing.

You can write your synth definitions to use with your sketch "once" to disk and they will be controllable purely by p5 without requiring any supercollider application interaction forever, as long as the scserver is running. So if it is only "running standalone" you are caring for, that can be done by writing synthdefs to disk via calling .writeDefFile method on SynthDefs in SC and they will always be available. But if you are intending to use p5 as a substitute for sclang, that is not really possible (yet). There are mny many high level constructs in sclang that is aimed for music making and porting them all to another language would be hard.
Re: supercollider library
Reply #16 - Dec 12th, 2008, 2:26pm

Hello,
great to see such a library in a processing collection, this could be very powerful combination of free softwares.

I am trying to get work it under linux and there seems to be something wrong with communication between processing and supercollider server.

Now I ran into stadium where even simpliest example sketch is shutting down gnome and whole X server just ater second of sound playing.. I really tried many things until now and have no idea where is the problem.

Sc server up, SynthDef is set, right variables sent, then shutdown

Supercollider alone working well and processing working normally when communicating with puredata via osc.. for example..

Has anyone tried this library on Ubuntu or other linux distro? (I am running on hardy, with quite usual settings)

Thanks for any advice,
kof.
Pages: 1 2