We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
0129 Close & saved settings (Read 895 times)
0129 Close & saved settings
Oct 18th, 2007, 5:37pm

This on WinXPPro:

If you uncheck the "quit after closing last" then the close "X" button on the menu bar will no longer close the app - instead it will create a new blank sketch with each press.  The only way out is File-Quit.  This is weird behavior for a Win app.  Suggestion: The "X" should map to File-Quit, not File-Close, and prompt to close/save only if appropriate.

Also, regardless of that setting, 0129 does not seem to save window position, size, last opened sketch, etc.  Instead it always opens up default size, screen centered, new blank sketch.  Is this intentional?  (I didn't see any mention in the changes, so bug?)

[edit]

Just some rambling to think about...  Smiley

Oh, perhaps I see now, this is probably related to the new multiple-opened-sketches stuff.  Maybe it's just because I'm a Windows guy, and maybe this is how stuff works on a Mac, but this is really pretty weird behavior for a Windows app.  Cheesy  It's like you want an MDI app (where one app contains many documents), but you're doing it with multiple SDI windows -- so the "X" is really the document close, not the app close.  But even if you have only one window open?

If multiple open sketches are here to stay, any chance of modelling it like a real MDI app, with a blank work area capable of containing multiple sub-windows for each document?  (tabs would go with the document, menu would stay with the app)  (if not, like trying to mimic the way current MSOffice works, then "X" would still need to be app-close not doc-close for each individual window)
Re: 0129 Close & saved settings
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2007, 7:02pm

we're definitely not making it an mdi app.

uncheck that box in prefs and you'll get the regular close behavior that you're expecting (that closing the last window will take you out of the app).

the problem is mac v. windows parity on the issue. that checkbox gives you the same route as firefox, where closing the last tab won't close the window except for quit (on windows).

as for saving your last documents opened...if you quit, then the open documents will be saved. if you close all your documents (perhaps resulting in a quit), then it's not gonna save them. there's no way for the app to know which docs you "meant" to keep open.
Re: 0129 Close & saved settings
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2007, 6:41pm

I guess it only occurs since I tend to work on a single sketch at a time, so it seems odd that "X" doesn't save settings.

Another odd thing discovered while playing with multiple open sketches is that println()'s from a background sketch appear in the output window of the active sketch.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1