We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › 3D car racing game with processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
3D car racing game with processing (Read 1050 times)
3D car racing game with processing
Oct 11th, 2007, 12:05am

Any one has ever create a car racing game using processing?

Or any other Java library out there that's better for create such kind of game.

For processing does it support the .obj files (3D ojbects model) so that I can import from program like 3D Studio Max.

Since I would like to create a car 3D object and import into the racing game program.

Any additional tools / library is required to create racing game using processing?
Re: 3D car racing game with processing
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2007, 10:49am

you can code a racing game in processing for sure. there is an obj loader somewhere, i think it is in the libraries section. check it out.
Re: 3D car racing game with processing
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2007, 11:30pm

One thing you'll definitely need is a decent physics library.  Unfortunately most of the good 3d ones I know of are in C or C++.  I know someone once started a Java port of ODE (JOODE if I remember right), which might be a start, though ODE doesn't have swept collision detection, which is sometimes useful for racing.  I once heard that Rockstar did GTA using a bunch of connected spheres for all the car collisions because they were easy to sweep-test, but I'm not sure how true that is...

BTW, if you decide to do the project, you might want to ask around here for contributors once you've started it up.  I'm always a bit surprised that there are not many collaborative game efforts going on here, I'd love to see something like that take off a little more.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1