We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Error : Start failed : class not found : appname
Pages: 1 2 3 
Error : Start failed : class not found : appname (Read 5116 times)
Error : Start failed : class not found : appname
Jul 15th, 2007, 7:49pm

My sketch runs fine from processing, but i can't export it at all. The html embedded applet gives me "Error : Start failed : class not found : appname"

i'm using 0124beta on macosx. :(
Re: Error : Start failed : class not found : appna
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2007, 3:25am

pls post the code...
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2007, 7:02am

i've found that it happens with just this, and that adding OPENGL to size is what breaks it.

color bgColor = color(0,0,0),
     fgColor = color(255,255,255,20);

void setup() {
 size(600,600,OPENGL);
 //noStroke();
 smooth();
 frameRate(60);

initialize();
}

void initialize() {
}

void mousePressed() {
 initialize();
}

void draw() {
 background(bgColor);
}

class Something {
 Something() {
 }
}
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2007, 11:10pm

If you're using OpenGL, you'll need the line:

import processing.opengl.*;

at the top of the file.  See if that fixes the problem.
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2007, 11:45pm

it didn't fix it :(

so the code i posted works for you if you include that?
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:05am

Yup, it's working for me, even exported to applet.  What version of Java are you using?  I know with one of the 1.5's there was a problem with Sun's OpenGL support because they botched something (I think it was 1.5.9 or 1.5.10, though can't remember exactly).  Does it work if you switch to P3D?
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:26am

Well, this all started when i wanted a text field in my applet. I added interfascia, but found that it deactivated smoothing some how (important to the rest of my applet). Looking around online i found someone using smooth+interfascia by using OPENGL in size.

P3D doesn't allow smooth() at all. I've tried JAVA2D but it looks like smooth disappears again.

Do you think upgrading to processing 0125 could do it?

Isn't it odd that it runs fine from the processing ide, but not when exported?
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2007, 1:30am

Smoothing is disabled in P3D, even in 0125 (I think this will be coming back eventually, but not quite yet).

It is quite odd that it works in the PDE but not in the browser, which makes me think your browser is set to use a different version of the JRE than the PDE is - if this isn't the case, then I might be stuck.  See if you can figure out which is being used and let us know.  0124 versus 0125 should not make much of a difference as far as this is concerned.
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2007, 4:07am

how can i determine which jre each is using?
Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2007, 10:42am

using System.getProperty("java.version","Not defined") i was able to determine that i'm running jre version 1.5.0_07, both from the pde and the browser...
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2007, 9:58am

i tried reinstalling java. it still doesn't work but i noticed this message in the console. does it tell me anything?

1.5.0_07
### MRJPlugin:  getPluginBundle() here. ###
### MRJPlugin:  CFBundleGetBundleWithIdentifier() succeeded. ###
### MRJPlugin:  CFURLGetFSRef() succeeded. ###
Wed Jul 18 00:56:05 PDT 2007 JEP creating applet com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher (file:/Users/jeremy/Documents/Processing/circulatorApp/applet/)
2007-07-18 00:56:06.175 firefox-bin[328] WARNING: _wrapRunLoopWithAutoreleasePoolHandler got kCFRunLoopExit, but there are no autorelease pools in the stack.
Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2007, 10:35am

Hmm, to be honest, this is getting a little outside my area of expertise, so I'm not quite sure what to suggest.  According to http://www.rainmakerinc.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t708.html that last error is not a problem, but is rather a slight annoyance because of some Cocoa/Carbon bug that supposedly never causes any real problems.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment: Have you tried running these in Safari, Camino, Opera, or any other browser?  It's possible that whatever version of Firefox you're using (or more likely, an extension that's installed) might be causing a problem.  Since it's running fine in the PDE, that means that both the JVM and the JOGL binaries exist and are working fine on your computer, so something else must be getting in the way.  If you have NoScript installed, that could be doing something, or perhaps your security settings are such that you're not even being asked whether or not to accept signed applets (OpenGL applets pop up a security checkbox that you need to accept before they will run).

Anyone else have an idea what could be going wrong?
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2007, 11:19am

unfortunately i get the same error in safari.
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2007, 11:26am

could someone point me to a processing applet that using size(w,h,OPENGL)? i expect to see the same error, but it seems worth checking.
Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2007, 12:16pm

can you post a link to the / a website with the applet on?

did you copy all files to the server or are you running it locally?

what does the java-console report? you can enable that here:
/Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences
... then restart the browser. next time there's an applet on a page the console will pop up.

F
Pages: 1 2 3