We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Error : Start failed : class not found : appname
Pages: 1 2 3 
Error : Start failed : class not found : appname (Read 5114 times)
Re: Error : Start failed : class not found : appna
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2007, 2:50pm

here's the applet for the code i posted earlier.

http://apiarist.org/tt/applet/
Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2007, 4:02pm

that applet is trying to use opengl but it's not included (neither in the pde nor in the jar(s) or the html-tag).

to fix it open the sketch in processing, enter as first line: Code:

import processing.opengl.*;

now re-export and reopload to your server (including all files!)

try again. should work now.
F
Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2007, 9:40pm

i did forget to import processing.opengl.*;, but someone suggested that earlier and it didn't help on my side.

i've uploaded the updated version to the same url. does it work for you now?
Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2007, 10:23pm

it's not about helping, it's wrong: you have to import the opengl library if you use size( .., .., OPENGL).
how do you manage to get it to export without the import line? normally Processing will complain about it missing ... if you've found a way around that it's a bug.

yes, the applet works here (os-x 10.4.9, java 1.4.2, safari 2.0). not for you? maybe try clearing your java-cache:
/Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences
"Temporary Internet Files", -> "Delete Files ..."
now restart your browser and reload page

F
Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2007, 10:34pm

i didn't do anything to get it to export without that import statement. clearing the cache didn't work either.

the console just reports:

Wed Jul 18 13:32:36 PDT 2007 JEP creating applet com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher (http://apiarist.org/tt/applet/)
Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2007, 11:13pm

Have you installed JOGL locally in your JRE? That can cause conflicts.
Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2007, 11:37pm

i don't recall installing it locally. but can i check that somehow?
Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2007, 11:44pm

it was installed locally (i think) - there were jogl files in /System/Library/Java/Extensions

So i removed those, and now the program with OPENGL in size() won't compile from pde without the import statement.

But the exported applet still doesn't work. i did clear the cache and restart the browser before testing that.
Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2007, 7:26am

On the chance that it's still being cached (sometimes the system Java cache isn't cleared even if the browser one is), try http://www.gamefight.org/boids/ - that's an OpenGL sketch that works on every Mac, PC, or Linux box that I've tried (just checked one of each this moment).  Your applet works fine here, so it's definitely some sort of config thing.
Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2007, 7:48am

yeah that applet gave me the same class not found error.

configuration related suggestions, anyone?
Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2007, 1:40pm

i thought i'd try not using "multiple .jar files when exporting applets", but that doesn't seem to do anything. i was expect there to be just one .jar in the applet directory. no?
Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2007, 7:26am

Out of curiosity, try going to https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html and see if that applet works - it uses a different means of loading the JOGL files, and I think the binaries are different so it should avoid any caching issues.  If it does work, then there is something specifically happening with the Processing OpenGL stuff; if not, then it appears that for whatever reason your computer won't run any OpenGL applets at all.  In that case your best bet is probably to ask someone on a general JOGL forum if they have any tips.

Have you potentially done anything "naughty" with either your Java installation or your browser?  I'm thinking of things along the lines of manually changing Java security policies (java.security file), using a bleeding edge Firefox, using a non-Apple JRE, or messing with any source code yourself.  Any of this type of stuff could potentially cause problems.

BTW, you should see a security dialog popping up when you try to access an OpenGL applet - if you don't even get there, try checking Utilities->Java->J2SE 5.0->Java Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, and open the "Security" menu.  On my system the only two boxes not checked are "Always honor JNLP version requests" and "Use TLS 1.0" (not that I know what either of these really means...); most of that other stuff needs to be enabled in order to let you decide whether to allow the signed applet to be run, and if I recall, signed OpenGL applets will essentially just fail silently if you don't have them checked, so it's worth verifying those settings.
Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2007, 7:57am

the applet on the page you linked gets to "Starting applet JOGL Gears Applet" and no further.

i don't think i've done anything "naughty" :P

my security settings are also the same as yours.

well, at least removing those jogl files makes the "export application" applications work. i guess i'll hit up the jogl forums. thanks.

oh wait, i'm still not sure what the deal is with the "Use multiple .jar files when exporting applets" option?
Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2007, 2:27am

Hm, I'm sorry then, I'm out of ideas.  It sounds like for whatever reason your browser doesn't want to load all the OpenGL files from the internet.  I hope you can eventually figure it out, I'm sure somewhere someone has had a similar problem and worked out the cause.

I'm not exactly sure what the multiple .jars thing would be useful for, I usually leave it unchecked when I'm working in the PDE.
Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2007, 6:32pm

I'd like to post that i have successfully fixed this issue.

I've been dealing with the same problem of class not found.  After hours of searching, this is what was happening:

instead of using processing's jogl libraries, java had grabed the ones out of your /Library/Java/Extensions folder.  To fix this, first copy them (if you want to keep them) and paste them somewhere else (DO NOT JUST MOVE THEM).  Then, quit everything and empty your trash.  It will probably say that the jars are in use.  That is good.  You need to somehow delete these.  I force-deleted my trash with macpilot, i'm sure you can search on google how to do this with the console.  Now bring up the webpage and it should work.  finally.
Pages: 1 2 3