We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
how to make web cam image clearer (Read 1818 times)
how to make web cam image clearer
Jul 11th, 2007, 9:24am

Hello,

I find that the web cam images are not very clear. I use Logitech QuickCam Pro-5000 and the image quality i got from processing is much lower than the quality i got from Logitech interface (not sharp and quite slow). I display web cam image in the scale of 640x480, rather than 320x240. I suppose there must be reasons related with the mechanism of processing. I don't know how to improve the quality.

If using function settings() is the only solution, then my next question is that after I open the video setting window by setting() the program stops and does not run any more after I finish setting and close the window. How can I access setting window without terminating the program?

In case setting() is not the solution i look for, what else i can do to make the image quality as good as what i get from the Logitech interface? Please help.
Re: how to make web cam image clearer
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2007, 9:35pm

with what you're trying to do i think settings will not really  improve your image quality.
its more about tweaking colors, whitebalance, ...

is it possible that your camera only supports 320x240? if thats the case and you request a 640x480 image then processing will just scale the original image, which of course makes the image look bad...

hansi.
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007, 12:56pm

I had some of the same issues that you had, mainly because of bad lighting conditions. Doing some filtering of the image helps a bit and i think maybe thats what the quickcam app does. Right now i am just doing a simple filter( BLUR, 1 ); or what ever the syntax was. This helps for image comparison work at least. Gets rid of a lot of the grain etc.
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2007, 11:12am

Thanks for the reply.

well, i tried showing webcam images in size of 320x240 but the situation is the same. I mean, the 320x240 images in Logitect interface looks much better than the 320x240 images in my processing application. Besides, the processing time of images in Logitech interface is also faster than the time in my application.

i thus wonder if processing do compression for the incoming images from webcam. I wish to stop the compression process and hopefully the quality and running time can improved. I tried doing this by myCamera.settings() but as what i said in my first article, once the setting window opens, the application stop running and the following error message appears:

STOP
quicktime.std.StdQTException[QTJava:6.1.0g1],-9402=cantDoThatInCurrentMode,QT.vers:6528000

at quicktime.std.StdQTException.checkError(StdQTException.java:38)

I use window XP, quicktime 6.5.2, winvDig 1.0.1

does anyone know how to use settings() and know how to improve the image quality.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1