We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › fullscreen mode different in mac and pc !
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
fullscreen mode different in mac and pc ?! (Read 1199 times)
fullscreen mode different in mac and pc ?!
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:58am

hello,

im experimenting something weird that maybe some of you know what could be going wrong..

i wrote an app to run in exclusive fullscreen mode, and i also tried to create a window of screen size so we could run some visuals and be able to play live with one single machine..

the thing is that the application runs just fine in a PC, one monitor goes fullscreen while at the other we're still able to use for live audio performance..

thing is that i send this to a friend of mine who owns a Macintosh and the same app just blacks out both outputs, making it impossible to work with the sound program and at the same time be able to play the visuals..

anyone know anything about this or have experienced this before ?
Re: fullscreen mode different in mac and pc ?!
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007, 1:01am

this is how i created exclusive modes:

FIRST:

void FullscreenOn()
{
 noCursor();

frame.dispose();  
 frame.setUndecorated( true );  

GraphicsDevice myGraphicsDevice = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice  ();  
 myGraphicsDevice.setFullScreenWindow( frame );
 if (myGraphicsDevice.isDisplayChangeSupported())
 {  
   DisplayMode myDisplayMode = new DisplayMode(  
   width, height, 32, DisplayMode.REFRESH_RATE_UNKNOWN );  
   myGraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode( myDisplayMode );  
 }
}  

void FullscreenOff()
{  
 GraphicsDevice myGraphicsDevice = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getDefaultScreenDevice  ();  
 myGraphicsDevice.setFullScreenWindow( null );  
}

SECOND:

static public void main(String args[])
{  
 PApplet.main(new String[] { "--present", "Attract" });
}

WINDOWED MODE:

static public void main(String args[])
{  
 PApplet.main(new String[] { "--location=-10,-40", "Attract" });
}

void setup()
{
 size( screen.wdith+20, screen.height+40, OPENGL );
}

any ideas ??
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2007, 4:37pm

bump.  I would LOVE to know the answer to this.
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:36pm

Yes, this has been my experience as well.  Unfortunately, full-screen exclusive mode on a Mac allows for one only monitor to be used (as far as I've been able to tell.) There are some tricks to run something fullscreen on a mac w/o exclusive mode.  It's been discussed here on the forums. I've got some notes about it here too:

http://itp.nyu.edu/varwiki/BigScreens/FullScreenHacks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1