We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Read from digital SLR camera (Read 907 times)
Read from digital SLR camera
Apr 27th, 2007, 6:02pm

Hello,

I would like to work with higher resolution images than I am getting from my DV camera for a project.  

One thought was to connect a high resolution digital camera to my computer via firewire or usb and then to grab images through that since I only will need about one image/10seconds.

I have not been able to find anything about this out so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Re: Read from digital SLR camera
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007, 9:22pm

Most digital cameras have two modes, "capture" and "connect".  When in capture mode, you can take pictures which are then stored on the internal media.  To get these pics off the camera, you usually have to switch to connect mode, which then makes your camera show up as a removable disk in the computer OS.

So what you will need is a camera that allows you to access it's internal media while it is still in capture mode.  I have not seen a camera that does this.  Of course even with a camera that would allow this, you'd still have to trigger each capture manually.  

Here's a thread that might help:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=VideoCamera;action=display;num=1087225818

So some type of video camera is really the way to go for any realtime repeating image captures.  What resolution are you trying to get?
Re: Read from digital SLR camera
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007, 1:01pm

Yes, that is true for most of the "consumer" digital cameras as they call them.  However with higher end cameras you can use your computer to control the camera and capture directly to your hard drive.  This is often used by professional photographers who are shooting 12+ mega pixel RAW images...

Here is a note on Nikon's D50:
"Using the Camera Control component of Nikon Capture, you can control almost all aspects of camera operation remotely via USB port from your computer. If Camera Control is running when a D1-series camera is connected, pictures taken with the camera will be stored on your computer hard disk, not the camera memory card."

So what I am wondering is if is possible for processing to "see" and control this camera.  Ideally I would be looking for a vertical resolution of 2000+pixels.  As I am using this for a slit scan capture my effective horizontal resolution that I would need to capture with each frame would be just 1 pixel wide.  

Any ideas of how this could be done?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1