We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › mapping an image over particles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
mapping an image over particles (Read 912 times)
mapping an image over particles
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:01pm

hi,

ok, let's go. I have to achieve a project in three weeks that will needs intensive processing work. That's why i'm asking these questions there. Alsomore, i'm quite new with processing. Time is precious and any suggestions may help me to earn a lot of time. So i apologize by advance if my questions are redundants on this board.  

In fact, a photograph will send me soon some pictures mainly in black & white. I would like to make a sketch that will deal with particles and vectors. So i need to cut picture and map it over a particles system. That's my first question "how to cut an image and automatically map it over a particles system" ?

My second question concerns the finalisation of the project. By experience when i deal with a lot of particles (500 or 2000)in some exemples it run very slowly on my computer. So what's the better to keep 'em fluid and usable ? to export each frame as .tga pictures and then go to other software to make a video ? To user moviemake library and run the skectch without make it display anything on the screen ? What's the better processing rendered for that p3d or opengl?  I need fluid and high quality output as i'll be display by a beamer. I'm sure it's possible as i saw some great exhibitions made with processing.

But as you can see by my questions, i never did such stuff and work with gear like that before. I was mainly into music creation and just started my graphic trip. Hope i'm clear enough, if not, tell me i'll try to explain it in a better english.

thx,
]ana[
Re: mapping an image over particles
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007, 5:49pm

A project for what... school?  If so then remember: no cheating, no plagiarizing. Otherwise, feel free to borrow ideas - here's one with 10,000 particles mapped from an image and animated:

http://www.davebollinger.com/works/p5/catdisintegrator/

Performance will of course depend on your pc, but shouldn't be too bad for anything fairly modern.
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007, 6:43pm

thx a lot i just added ur website to my bookmars after did a search over buildwithprocessing. great stuff there.

No no it's not for shcool !!!
And really i'm not into cheating or plagiarizing.
That's for making a visual for a concert. My gf had to do that alone but she was too much busy and in late so she didn't  had the time to do the animated part.

And now i'm involved in the project to help her, only have three weeks to do smth good and the duration should be close to 50 minutes... not easy at all so i try to optimise my time.

thx a lot again
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2007, 11:52pm

and what's the better way for the rendering process ?
sorry but i'm totally new about that. I think i'll have a 1204*768 quicktime movie file at the final stage is that enough to be displayed with a projector (beamer) ?

And should i try to output each frame as a tga file and then make a quicktime movie with a third party software

thx a lot Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1