We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Using Ad-Hoc networks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Using Ad-Hoc networks (Read 1066 times)
Using Ad-Hoc networks
Feb 4th, 2007, 3:55pm

How would I find out the IP address of the Ad-Hoc server by a client (also called "Computer to Computer"). IBSS doesn't seem to give out IP addresses, but there must be some type of reference. If it isn't possible to do it in processing, a Java technique would be appricated.
Re: Using Ad-Hoc networks
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2007, 2:39pm

So i've been doing a little research about Ad-Hoc networking and it appears that IP addresses aren't used, only MAC addresses. There isn't much information on the internet about IBSS so I have no way of knowing if there are ARP tables on each computer or not.

What I would like to do is create a game where everyone has a laptop and you have to be in proximity and connect to their WiFi network to attack them. I have all the variables and structure set out, using iStumbler and a little standalone applescript program that makes it's own network when you're not connected to anyone.

Any information about this would be helpful.
Re: Using Ad-Hoc networks
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2007, 6:52am

So after close observation, there are IP addresses in ad-hoc networks, and they are pretty static as well. Even disconnecting from the network and reconnecting to it will keep the same address. The way to find out your address in OS X is to go to system profiler and look under network.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1