We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Space to host a Proce-session in SF
Pages: 1 2 
Space to host a Proce-session in SF? (Read 4719 times)
Space to host a Proce-session in SF?
Jan 26th, 2007, 4:01am

Hi! Does anyone know a good space in San Franciso for a processing get-together/show and tell? It could be a place to show off your latest projects, code, and share ideas.

A friend and I want to start something like that up, maybe monthly. Just the one element we are missing is a place to meet. Here's a rough idea of what i'm thinking:

- about 2 hours one evening (more?!)
- probably indoors (cooolllld weather!)
- tables and a place to plug a projector (I can bring the projector)
- wifi? (could do without it)

Would any of you be interested in coming to something like that?

ryan
Re: Space to host a Proce-session in SF?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2007, 8:27am

I would be game.  Sounds like fun.  As for venue, nothing comes immediately to mind unless you have a big budget.  Wink

Let me know if you want me to pound some pavement and hit some connections up for recommendations.
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2007, 9:53pm

Awesome. Yes please! I don't really have a budget for much more than Pizza and Inca Colas..

As it stands right now, there is a conference room where my friend works we might be able to use. But it's not ideal because the doors to the building lock at some point so people might have a problem getting in. I've also been bugging a teacher at CCA I know to let us meet there, but no luck there so far. To me, a school would be ideal.

So I'm going to keep hunting.. let me know If you find something and I'll do the same!
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2007, 10:23pm

Anyone know a good coffee shop w/ free wifi? seems like that would do the trick...
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2007, 8:14pm

I guess the coffee shop would work for a small friendly show and tell, but they might get annoyed if we hook up a projector.  Wink

I am in the final stages of closing a deal on a new office space for Barbarian west coast.  Once that is taken care of, I can probably host the occasional event.  With any luck and fast contractors, this could happen as early as March.

Fingers crossed.
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2007, 9:28pm

I talked to my man over at CCA and he nicely agreed to put in a request to some of the higher-ups there. They'll probably decide based on whether it has any benefit to their students (which I think it would). But in any case it's worth a try.

That's great, Robert! Well march is only 2 months away. I don't know how long the CCA thing might take, but in the meantime a coffee shop (sadly with no projector -_-) would be a good place to start.

Heres some in SF
http://hotspotr.com/wifi/map/1-san-francisco-ca

Philz coffee is close to me and has good coffee. It might not be too central tho.
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2007, 8:48pm

Id be up for a journey.  I love a good cup o joe.

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2007, 6:33pm

phliz sounds good to me, close to bart.
how about some night this week?

3 of us so far any other takers?
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2007, 9:10pm

Cool sounds good to me. Wednesday or thursday is best for me during the week. Apparently Philz is only open until 7:00pm so could you guys get there by 5:30? Maybe the weekend is gonna be better.
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2007, 3:51am

We could always find a low-key bar and throw a few drinks into the mix.
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2007, 12:47am

Hey guys. Sorry I got distracted these last couple days. I talked with Jeff and we decided to have a proto-meeting this Sunday (the 4th) 2:00pm at Philz Coffee. It'll just be something informal to kick things off. Is that time good for you Robert?

Here's the address for Philz
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3101+24th+St.+at+Folsom+St.,+sf&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=37.75236,-122.414174&spn=0.024533,0.047207&om=1&iwloc=addr

Bring laptops bring "♥" and we'll see what happens!

BTW yeah lo-key bar would be good for next time too if you know one!

ryan Wink
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2007, 3:00am

Hey everyone. I need to start checking these boards more often.

I'm definitely down for a meet-up on the 4th @ 2PM to look at some work and think about making this a regular thing. Very exciting!
Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2007, 9:55am

Okay, I will be there.  2pm.  Sunday.  Philz.  Who should I look for?  Will you be wearing a bright red hoodie or perhaps carrying a sign?

-robert
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:04am

Alright! We have the four sides of a table. I'll wear a conspicuous looking bright yellow t-shirt and if it's too cold, a blue hoody with a smiley face on it. They have a table in the middle so I'll try to sit there if I can.

See you guys there!

<edit> Do not attempt to converse with anyone not wearing the above items! He may be an imposter/government agent/mannequin! </edit>
Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2007, 9:55pm

http://philscoffee.tribe.net/thread/e3577777-dc65-4a0c-9d0a-47d2831f2da9

Funny.  Way to choose the venue!!

Tongue
Pages: 1 2