We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Anti-Aliasing for OSX Users
Pages: 1 2 
Anti-Aliasing for OSX Users (Read 9117 times)
Re: Anti-Aliasing for OSX Users
Reply #15 - May 2nd, 2007, 1:54pm

watz wrote on May 2nd, 2007, 7:06am:
Glad you like it. The downside is that (as observed by Eskimoblood) when using the hack it is no longer possible to get "trails". The screen is always cleared between frames. I'm not sure if there is a solution that allows anti-aliasing while not erasing the existing image.

hm, that's unfortunate, that throws a wrench into the plans for making it the default.

the other issue is enabling/disabling via smooth/snoSmooth. problem is that at least on my machine (macbook pro), this:
gl.glDisable(GL.GL_MULTISAMPLE);
won't actually disable the multisampling and put you back into unsmoothed mode. it insists on smoothing throughout.

i'll keep looking into it, and if anyone finds more information, please post.

edit:

also, this is hilarious.. the old mac mini page (when it was powerpc) actually makes fun of "integrated" graphics chipsets and how bad they are:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060218015545/www.apple.com/macmini/graphics.html
"Most say they’re good for 2D games only. That’s because an "integrated Intel graphics" chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You’d have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac mini, and some cheaper PCs don’t even have an open slot to let you add one. So view your digital life at the highest resolution with Mac mini and the world’s most advanced graphical user interface."
(found via a thread on digg)
Reply #16 - May 6th, 2007, 12:11am

another followup for the mac mini.. i've just checked an example that uses opengl's accumulation buffer on a macbook (which also has the gma 950), and that seems to work.. so that's another possibility, though if the chip is as speed deficient as it sounds, the accum stuff probably won't be helping much.
Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2007, 11:28pm

At least I've found a way to get the trails stuff work. Simply start the application in the present mode and upps it works.
Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2007, 6:35pm

for those who come across this thread, a note from revisions.txt for 0131:

+ Added support for full-screen anti-aliasing with OpenGL. This is
 enabled via the hint() mechanism because it has several tradeoffs
 and its behavior across video cards varies. Use the options
 hint(ENABLE_OPENGL_2X_SMOOTH) or hint(ENABLE_OPENGL_4X_SMOOTH)
 immediately after the size() command to get lovely smooth results.
 Read the caveats in the documentation for hint(). Thanks to Mike
 Creighton and others who figured out this method earlier.
Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2007, 8:39pm

When using this hint(), is there any way to avoid the screen being cleared before each draw()?

I want to draw "layers" of stuff over time, but after enabling this hint, the screen is cleared before each new frame.

-- djones
Pages: 1 2