We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing + Flash
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing + Flash (Read 2535 times)
Processing + Flash
Nov 13th, 2006, 2:07pm

Hi,
I'm totally new to Processing but have been working in flash for a couple of years. I came to processing because I just recenttly found a couple of nice features that I would like to use.

So my first question here is if it's possible to connect Processing and Flash and to excange data between them?

Cheers
Magnus
Re: Processing + Flash
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2006, 6:45pm

Three routes are available in Flash as raw as it stands.

1: ping msgs off of the browser using javascript

2: use xml server technology and the proXML library

3: use loadVars and find a way for Processing to pick that up

But I like the sound of this one best:

Flash Open Sound Control

OSC is a very good method of communicating between applications. Processing already has an OSC library that you can use to send and receive msgs. The Flosc site also links to a tutorial.

If you're going to get any results fast, I would bet on OSC.

Let us know how you get on.

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2006, 5:18pm

Hi st33d,

thanks for the advices. I ended up using flosc just as you recomended and it works really well, so thanks alot!

/Magnus
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2006, 4:52pm

is it possible to do that within a browser window? An swf and an applet running in the same html, and communicating between each other?
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2006, 7:30pm

Yes,
I think it's possible here is an example: http://incubator.quasimondo.com/processing/flash_processing_communication_1.php

I don't know if it's possible to make it faster tough. I wanted it for using the tilt sensor that's built in to my macbook and there shouldn't that example realy work but it worked great with flosc.

/magnus
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2006, 1:10pm

thanks magnus. it does seem a little slow, although it's not clear if it's the delay to render the blur...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1