We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Working with high res (at least 640x480) video
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Working with high res (at least 640x480) video (Read 1537 times)
Working with high res (at least 640x480) video
Nov 10th, 2006, 1:11pm

Hi all,
I've been testing processing for high res video playback. I need to be able to jump() to a particular position of the video with high speed at will. Nevertheless, my experience so far has been really dissapointing. Processing does this just fine with small test videos, but as soon as I go to higher resolutions, the playback goes *really* slow, in quite a decent speced system, p4 2.8ht with 1gb ram, 200gb sata disk, Geforce fx5200 video card.

What could I be doing wrong? What performance tips should I take into account? Should I look into other environments (vvvv,pd, jitter) for doing something like this?

Thanks...
Re: Working with high res (at least 640x480) video
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2006, 2:16pm

from the video reference:

"Video performance is not particularly great. The library is simply not built (and Java is not currently capable) of moving around 640x480 video on most machines, much less doing analysis on the video. The library was intended as a way to get pixels and manipulate them (either small pixel buffers interactively, or large ones for non real-time use). There are better tools for real-time, large screen analysis. It is my estimate that a 2x performance increase can probably be obtained by making better use of the QuickTime for Java library, but this still may not be enough to do analysis of 640x480 pixels at 30 frames per second, so it remains a lower priority. As always contributions are welcome, in case you're a video hacker who wants to help improve the library. (Bug 40)"

that said, i'm spending some time working on it today, as it turns out. i think we can get much better than a 2x speed increase for situations where you only need to show video, as opposed to grab the pixels.
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2006, 2:32pm

Cool, thanks. I think i had read that, as i downloaded half the site and links already for reference Smiley . Maybe my subconscious just deleted that info.

So, for now I just can't expect better performance, do you think i should then just forget about processing for this particular project and better spend some time on the other options? What's your advice? vvvv or pd+gem? i'd better work with free tools for now.
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2006, 6:58pm

ooog.. please don't do that to the site. the reference is included with the processing download, there's no need to do that.

i'm not sure of other options personally, but others might have better options until i can get things straightened out.
Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2006, 9:04pm

Of course i didn't download the docs again, but interesting posts i found on the forums, tutorials, that kind of info...

I still think processing is a cool tool, maybe not for this particular project.

Best regards and thanks for your kind help.-
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2006, 6:29pm

OK, so what is the solution?
I've seen a lot of projects out there that make pretty nice things, which i guess demand a lot of processing power, in realtime.
I mean how can we demonstrate the program on a tv screen, even without taking into account quality, but speed.
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2006, 2:24pm

Mmmhhhh. For what I've read, if you "programatically draw" stuff on the screen, processing works fine. The big performance problem seems to be specifically related to video playback. I'm doing the video stuff now in vvvv, it's cool and works just as I wanted!
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2007, 6:02pm

How's it going?

How did this project ever turn out?

I'm in the middle of a project trying to use processing to jump to different places in a full-screen video.

It sort of works, but plays the videos much smaller than their actual size.  Anyone figured out how to make it play full screen?  Even if it is delayed and choppy?

Thanks!
JD
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1