We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpVideo Capture,  Movie Playback,  Vision Libraries › Sequence of images. Video or individual pics
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Sequence of images. Video or individual pics? (Read 868 times)
Sequence of images. Video or individual pics?
Oct 25th, 2006, 4:40pm

Hi all,
I'd like to be able to control a sequence of images. I should be able to show a particular image out of something like 8000 images, and change very fast from one image to the other. The reads will be almost exclusively of consecutive images, but not necessarily ordered in an ascending way (show image 1,2,3,4,...,2000,stop. show image 2000,1999,1998, stop. show image 1998,1999,...3000 stop). This sequence will vary in speed, but I should be able to get at least 15fps in peaks.

What's the recommended way of doing that (speed is essential)? Should I use a video and then jump() to the point in time corresponding to that image? Should I use an array of already loaded pics (i guess this is too memory-consuming)? Should I load the pics dinamically from disk? (i think this should be quite slow)

I don't know yet about the resolution of the images but probably 640x480 in order to get a "decent" image when projected.
Re: Sequence of images. Video or individual pics?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2006, 7:41pm

8000 640x480 images would take up about 10 GIG of memory if all loaded at the same time, so that really isn't going to be an option.

A movie might be possible, but I don't know if it can provide the speed you want,the only way to find out is to try it...
Re: Sequence of images. Video or individual pics?
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2006, 8:52pm

Thanks John. I'm on my way to doing exactly that. I'll let you know in a while...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1