We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Videofeed is "twisted" (Read 715 times)
Videofeed is "twisted"
Oct 19th, 2006, 5:32pm

First of all; I run processing 0118 beta, jmyron 0025, quicktime 6.5.2 with java, vinvdig 1.0.1, jdk (jre inkl.) 1.5.

* vinvdig shows live image from camera - no problems there
* qtjava.zip is present in ..\jre1.5.0_09\lib\ext\
* jmyron is present in ..\processing-0118\libraries\jmyron\
* jmyron-dlls is present in ..\system32\

Now: When I run an example like ASCII Video by B. Fry the video shows an input and everything is in order, but if I try to run any of the examples that uses "import JMyron.*;" the videofeed is "twisted".

The script is running, with feed (I can clearly see movement) but the image is vertically divided in five. Each sector shows the same feed - but only approximately 1 cm in from the right (from the lens view). Also the image have horizontal lines from top to bottom.

Em I see that this problem is kind of dificult to descibe so i have posted a print screen here: http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=processingprobbt3.jpg

You can see my pen in the red circle and, as described, likewise in the four other sectors.

I have tried with two cameras:

* sony minidv model no. dcr-rv30e
* logitech quickcam messenger

For the minidv cam, preferences like auto white balance is only adjustable on the camera. I have every "auto"-option shut off. Camera was connected through firewire 400.

For the webcam every automode was off from software. Was connected through usb.

This problem only occurs when I use the jmyronlibrary.

Hehe please help someone:)
Re: Videofeed is "twisted"
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2006, 4:01pm

I've stumbeled over this url and that fixed the problem: http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/courses/fall2006mm/using-jmyron.html

Both the dv and the quickcam needed to be called by the exact resolutions to work.

Is this a bug or maybe there should just be made a "rule" that handle autoresizing or something? Because there are only jmyron which dosn't cope with "aprox-resolutions" as far as I know.

Anyway; for those who experience an scrambled image, use println("Forced Dimensions: " + m.getForcedWidth() + " " + m.getForcedHeight()); to get a resolution that will work.

Edit 21.10: With a logitech quickcam messenger I get an image by using the forced dimensions 352, 288. But the image freezes. Why does it happend? This I figure is a cam driver/jmyron-collision. Any thoughts?
Re: Videofeed is "twisted"
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2006, 5:19pm

Just testing jmyron with logitech quickcam chat, thanks for the tip to solve twisted videofeed, it solved my problem!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1