We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › Interested in Joining the Development Team
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Interested in Joining the Development Team (Read 2958 times)
Interested in Joining the Development Team
Oct 21st, 2006, 10:30pm

Hi,

I'm a C/C++ programmer with experience in audio and 3D graphics on Windows. I'm interested in getting some experience working on a large scale java project.

I've downloaded the Processing source code however I haven't been able to get it to compile. I'm not using Cywin however I have all the other development tools installed.

When I do a build I'm getting the following errors:

$ make.sh
Building processing.core
c:/programming/processing/app/preproc/PdePreprocessor.java:302:5:302:12: Semanti                   c Error: Type "processing.app.preproc.PdeLexer" was not found.
c:/programming/processing/app/preproc/PdePreprocessor.java:302:27:302:34: Semant                   ic Error: Type "PdeLexer" was not found.                

etc...

Any idea what's going on here?

Also, how do you guys go about debugging if you're not using an IDE?

Cheers,

Chris
Re: Interested in Joining the Development Team
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:49pm

that'd be great if you can help.

the build scripts are designed to work with cygwin, that's why the instructions say to install it. if you're not using it, then the build is gonna break.

as for debugging, i watch for exceptions and use println as necessary. sometimes the core and libraries i'll debug with eclipse, but the environment itself i handle via command line.
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:27pm

OK, I guess I'll have to install Cygwin!

Regarding debugging, why not setup the whole project in Eclipse?

Cheers,

Chris
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:53pm

I've installed Cygwin however now I'm getting the following errors:

Chris@laptop /cygdrive/c/programming/processing/build/windows
$ ./make.sh
: command not found
./make.sh: line 211: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
'/make.sh: line 211: `  else

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:30pm

hm, someone else ran into this as well.. let's figure out what's going on.

are there quotes in your QTJAVA environment variable?
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:26pm

No quotes anywhere that I can see.

QTJAVA is set to:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

I checked that it's there too.

Cheers,

Chris
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2006, 2:53pm

It might be a problem with the presence of carriage returns in the make.sh file.  I had a similar problem with Arduino, so I opened make.sh in vi and did a find/replace to get rid of the carriage returns; type :s/<ctrl-v><ctrl-
m>//g (where <CTRL-V> means pressing control and v at the same time).  Then it worked.
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2006, 5:02pm

Thanks, I'll try it and see if it fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Chris
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2006, 8:15pm

sorry to lose track of this.. i'm looking at the file and don't see any CRs, though there are sometimes problems with the QTJAVA. as i'm trying to reproduce this, are you using QuickTime 6?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1