We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Flyover over huge image in 3d
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Flyover over huge image in 3d (Read 1285 times)
Flyover over huge image in 3d
Sep 27th, 2006, 1:48am

Hi,

I have a general implementation question where I am not sure what the best and speediest solution would be.

What I want to do is scroll huge images at reasonably fast speed, preferably in 3d so I can use a 3d camera to zoom in and out or fly over the images with a bit of an angle. Imagine it quite similar to google earth, just without the need to be placed on a sphere, but rather on a plane and the camera like a bird flying over.

The upper limit of the size of the images would be ideally around at least 8000 pixels wide and high. Now needless to say i cant load them in as is, but was thinking i chop them up beforehand in more consumable tiles and then load the required tiles in dynamically, depending which area of the image the camera is hovering over.

This hopefully shouldn't be too complicated but what I am wondering is how to do fast zoom in and outs? At some point I would have to change the resolution of the tile and i want this to happen as smooth as possible. Would it be possible to just switch resolutions by loading in a higher res image when at a certain distance? I wonder if this would be fast enough or if I should have 2 layers which i fade in and out above each other, whith each layer containing a different resolution. Ideally you would only notice the changes in resolution not in a big rerender, but a bit interpolated in between.

Probably I should just go ahead and try it out, but I was thinking I ask first this time, to get a better idea.

Thanks a lot for any insight and help,

Tommi

Re: Flyover over huge image in 3d
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006, 8:43pm

You could try resampling the images at 1/2 and 1/4 sizes, then if they are still large cut them up in the same method as you do with the large versions, as you are zooming out you can set  distances at which the resolutions swap out, and when you are zooming in you can use the view-frustum to calculate which of the higher resolution tiles you need to load.

Hope that helps!

Jack Kern
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1