We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Eyetoy & Capture ? (Read 3660 times)
Eyetoy & Capture ?
Dec 11th, 2005, 3:21am

I'm trying to capture images from an eyetoy webcam.
I've followed the video instructions on the FAQ :

Installed the the eyetoy driver.
Installed Quicktime 6.5.2
Installed WINVDIG

There's no error inside Processing, but a WINVDIG error :
"D-Link VGA Webcam-WDM : Problem connecting Video Output to QuickTime"

Maybe somebody know how to solve this prob ?
Anyway, if it can't be solved, which model of webcam do you recommend ?

Thanks.
Nicolas SAID.
Re: Eyetoy & Capture ?
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2005, 4:56am

Hi,

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

To fix this, I had to remove two "Environment Variables".
(BTW I'm under Windows).

To do so you have to go in:
System Properties / Advanced / Environment Variables / System Variables

There I had to Path linked to Quicktime. I have just removed those two path and ever since everything is working fine.

hope this help.
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2005, 11:09am

Can you tell me the names of the env variables ?
I just found 1 var, named QTJava or something. Deleted it. It's not working either...

Thanks for your help.
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2005, 3:30pm

sorry I don't remember ...
I have deleted them, without writting down their names.

The only thing I remember is that they were for sure QuickTime 's env. variables. And I had two of them on both my workstation and laptop.

Things to check or try:

1.  to unstall and reinstall everything (Quicktime And WinVDIG).
Me, I'm running QuickTime 7 (the one without iTune embeded).

2. Have you install QuickTime for Java ?

Hugues
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2005, 4:50pm

I deleted the 2 QT env. variables, resintalled everything...
Not working at all.
I'm going to throw myself trough the window, as I wanted to use processing to do computer vision.

Err..
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2005, 6:15pm

I don't think suicide will solve it!

Does the EyeToy camera work in other apps which use video capture (e.g. MSN Messenger or something like that)?  Although getting video working (with winvdig, qtime for java etc) in Processing can be tricky, I don't think that's the problem here.

Perhaps try using a camera designed for PC, and not the EyeToy.  My EyeToy camera doesn't work on my PC, but a $15 logitech webcam works perfectly.
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2005, 6:20pm

OK sorry, I see that there are PC drivers out there for the EyeToy now, fair enough.

Same question still applies though - does the camera work in other apps?

Also, have you tried copying QTJava.zip into your windows system32 folder?  That fixed things for me once before - you can usually find it in lib\ext in your JRE (Java Runtime Environment) folder, something like C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib\ext, if Quicktime for Java is installed.
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2005, 6:34pm

Yeah yeah, I've installed the eyetoy drivers for Windows... and it works with every other applications.
I copied the QTJava.zip in system32 : not working either.
Ok, I think I'll buy a new webcam.

Which model are reported to work with processing ?

Thank you for your help, really.
Regards,
Nicolas.
Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2005, 6:46pm

I don't have it to hand, but it was the cheapest USB webcam in the store, about 2 years ago.  It has a clip on the back so you can attach it to a laptop screen.

Ordinarily I would get you to try moving Processing around, or changing the order you install things, or posting your environment variables, or get you to uninstall other versions of Java, and so on, but in this case I think "Problem connecting Video Output to QuickTime" is a good indication that the camera isn't compatible with Quicktime for Java.  Not certain, but it's definitely worth trying another one before choosing autodefenestration.
Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2005, 7:00pm

I'm using a Logitech QuickCam Express and a Logitech QuickCam Chat. Both work.

//h
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2005, 10:45pm

Here are my advances in the Eyetoy problem.
v3ga just recommended me different drivers, I've installed them, he also told me that he is not using WinVDIG....
Ok. I unsinstalled WinVDIG.

I uninstalled QT7 and installed QT6 to do a "Custom install" and clearly check the QTJava package and QT Capture during installation.

Now, the WinVDIG error disappeared :  "D-Link VGA Webcam-WDM : Problem connecting Video Output to QuickTime"

But I have a Processing error now :/
java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find any capture devices, check the FAQ for more info.
at processing.video.Capture.list(Capture.java:484)
at Temporary_3177_9250.setup(Temporary_3177_9250.java:20)
at processing.core.PApplet.display(PApplet.java:1147)
at processing.core.PGraphics.requestDisplay(PGraphics.java:520)
at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1031)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

... ORF

I've tested QT7 & NO-WinVDIG too. QT6 & WinVDIG too. Everything.

Any idea ?
Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2005, 9:15am

hello!
I had the same problem with you these days. When I saw this post, I followed all the suggests in the reply but still failed. I unstalled and reinstalled everything several times until I found out I made a very simple mistake. That is, I open the QTCap window before I run the processing program. If I run the program directly everything is ok. But it works only in 068 edition, there are still problems in 097 edition. Hope this tip can help you. Thanks.
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2006, 7:56pm

Has anyone tried this with Processing 0115 or any recent version?
Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2006, 5:18am

I have tried Processing 0115(without Java), QuickTime 7.1, Java SDK 1.5.0 update 7, it works with Logitech QuickCam pro4000 but does not work with QuickCam Messenger nor QuickCam Express :<
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1