We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
macally icecam? (Read 582 times)
macally icecam?
May 17th, 2006, 2:28am

Just wondering if anyone has gotten good (adequate?) results from the macally icecam; I'd like something portable to go with my ibook, but the logitech cam I've been using only works on my desktop pc.

For reference, my current setup is Windows XP/SP2 on a 2.4GHz intel and 2 gigs ram, QT 7.1, WinVDIG 1.01, and a Logitech Quickcam STX.  Doing any kind of manipulation of video over 160 by 120 pegs the processor at 97%, but knocking the resolution down prevents dropped frames.  A lot can be done with 80 by 60 on an 800 by 600 stage...

-richard
Re: macally icecam?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006, 7:39am

Ok, I guess no one has one...  I picked one up on amazon for $20 and it works great on the pc and the ibook, so now I can show off my webcam manipulations when I'm not at home.

I can't find white balance adjustments, but maybe it doesn't have any.  The box just says "White Balance and Exposure Control: Auto."
Re: macally icecam?
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2006, 7:46am

Pretty sure the IceCam lacks white balance. I have heard good things about it, along with the old Orange iBot series. Some of the Logitech cams are good, too, and do support Mac -- QuickCam Pro 4000, for one, but you're right, not STX (even via 3rd party drivers.)

That said, what kind of manipulation is pegging the processor at 160x120? That's pretty hideous.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1