We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Public Space Installation (Read 1041 times)
Public Space Installation
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:54pm

I'm working on my senior capstone project and am in the research and planning stage. I am posting to find out how feasible my ideas are. As well as to get some direction towards technically completing my project.

What I want to do is an interactive public space installation which interacts instantly (real-time) and with quanitative data collected over time and displayed in an abstract visualization. The space will probably be a place of high-traffic in my school.

The data I have considered collecting is how fast people move through the space, how long they spend in front of it, what colors they are wearing, and what path they take through the space.

Technically I have experimented with eyesWeb and Processings video library as well as the JMyron library. I have found eyesWeb to have superior fps to processing but I feel that it will be harder to create my specific interactions in eyesWeb, but really I do not know. I have also read about using eyesWeb with Processing. Is this something that I may need to do?

Is it possible to collect data from a video camera over time and create information visualzations of this data?
Re: Public Space Installation
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2005, 9:09am

Hi there,

fps will always be better with EyesWeb.
Processings core strength is def. not fullscreen hi-fps video.
For communication between EyesWeb and Processing see my site, I have some examples there (leisure > processing).
If you want to pass on an analysis image from eyesWeb to P5, I had good fps with simply saving a PNG every frame and loading that in p5. Up to 15 fps. Not enough for viewing it, but for getting some image data over its enough.

I would advise you strongly to code your own blocks in eyesWeb (v3.3.0, v4 is very very beta) in c++. If you install the openCV library, you will have loads of fun playing with images.

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2005, 10:56am

Hi beachmeat,

please take a look at the menu of 'leisure' on your site ... Smiley
(ok, i could drag it, but first i have to find it)

have fun,
arkonisus
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2005, 7:06pm

Are you complaining about bad usability of my navigation?

You're right I guess Tongue

Here's the direct link: http://www.unshift.de/admin/SAM//www/index.php?remoteID=458
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2005, 8:19pm

Thanks. So let me get this straight... I would write my own eyesWeb modules in C++ using OpenCV for capturing data such as this? Then, send this information to Processing (possibly PNGs for images and using OSC to pass data. Then Processing can take this data and produce visualization based on it.

Here is the kicker, I have very little experience in C++. How much help will this openCV library give me in easily capturing information such as finding moving blobs, distinguishing color, etc. I think once I get data to P5 I can work from there. I also need to start learning about bitwise (XOR) processing of images in realtime. Such as that done on setpixel.com

Thank you for your help so far, I really appriciate it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1