We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › loadpixels() performances
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
loadpixels() performances (Read 1389 times)
loadpixels() performances
May 9th, 2005, 11:23am

I didn't understand the need on changing the managing of the pixels array but from a simple test I did it seems very CPU-intensive. Is there any trick/suggestion to have high performance using it?

thanks, chr
Re: loadpixels() performances
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2005, 3:19pm

just try to avoid using it.. it's not needed by P3D for instance (or rather, you should still include it but it doesn't do much) but with JAVA2D and OPENGL it'll make things slower.
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2005, 3:45pm

And, for curiosity, do you think it will be much better with the 1.0 ? playing with pixels is very useful for my kind of experiments... thx guys
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2005, 4:00pm

in P2D (currently unavailable) and P3D it will be very speedy. in OPENGL mode i think we can get it 2x as fast and in JAVA2D maybe a little faster.

i'd also like to provide an option for opengl that doesn't do the automatic bit-swapping and conversions, so that people who want to mess with pixels directly can do it without a loss of performance.
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2005, 4:20pm

that sounds great!!!

thx again!

chr
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1