We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Re-using the PDE framework (Read 1439 times)
Re-using the PDE framework
Sep 12th, 2006, 5:13pm

I've noticed that the PDE has a few related subprojects, Wiring, Mobile, Arduino... which all use the same/very similar user environment gui...

What are your thoughts about someone re-using the PDE for a completely unrelated (but open source, of course) project?

For a long time, I've been considering making some sort of IDE for programming arcade hardware -- specifically for Z80-based game hardware such as Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pengo, Rush'n Attack, etc.  It would consist of an editor, along with a few viewers for debugging the cpu(s), and originally, i thought it would spawn MAME or somesuch to do the emulation/hardware simulation... but I now think that integrating it with something like CottAGE or some other java-based emulator would be majorly advantageous - you'd be able to change the program while it was running, and such.

I of course would expect no support in this side project, I would just be borrowing the PDE framework as a starting point for the project.

Thoughts?

(Is this the right location for this question?)
Re: Re-using the PDE framework
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2006, 9:52pm

great by me, especially if it means you send me an upstream bug fix from time to time Smiley occasionally this happens from the other projects (you can thank dave mellis for fixing the println() stuff), though we haven't been very good at keeping in contact.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1