We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Simulate a ramp
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Simulate a ramp (Read 668 times)
Simulate a ramp
Apr 17th, 2006, 2:22am

I'm creating an installation which is a game (again) where the player controls a graph by moving their white coated selves left and right.

The peak of the graph (their white outline - scan for highest bright point or something - it kinda works, needs polishing) is used to skoosh the ball into the correct goal, red or blue.

I used the traer physics library to get the whole thing looking sexier and so far it works.

My trouble is that I'm just checking either side of the ball for a higher point on the graph to decide whether to skoosh left or right.

What happens is that it will get stuck in a trough, roll to the small peak on it's right and then zoop up a mountainous peak on the left because I'm forcing it to stay above the line of the graph.

How can I get my ball to roll around on the rope realistically?
Re: Simulate a ramp
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006, 5:52pm

I figured I could use the gradient of the slope to set the speed and cap that speed to smooth things over. I have a prototype version online. It probably isn't too bad but it still zoops up the rope against the laws of gravity at times.

If anyone has a suggestion for how I can stop it doing this I'd be very grateful.
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2006, 8:23pm

In case someone else runs into this problem I've been offered a solution at university by boredomresearch.

Rollercoaster simulation.
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2006, 11:00am

its alot of fun to play with it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1