We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Status 12 April 2006
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Status 12 April 2006 (Read 1164 times)
Status 12 April 2006
Apr 13th, 2006, 2:48am

lots happening behind the scenes with processing:

* book progress continues.. this has been consuming all of casey's time, and my own to a much lesser extent. go casey!

* more bug fixes are on tap when i can get some time to work on them. trying to get lots of GL stuff wrapped up pre-fitc.

* just posted a revised aiexport for added illustrator fun

* looks like P2D may return as a java port of the antigrain (http://www.antigrain.com/) library. it seems to support everything we need, though it remains to be seen whether it can be ported properly and made fast enough to run inside java. keep your fingers crossed.

* also a supersecret (supernotsosecret really, since it's in svn) project to make processing and its libraries eclipse friendly with the help of a certain mrfeinberg, so that the project can be more easily downloaded and built for people who like to use eclipse or using ant from the command line. more on this once it's all wrapped up.
Re: Status 12 April 2006
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006, 12:47pm

>looks like P2D may return as a java port of the antigrain >(http://www.antigrain.com/) library. it seems to support >everything we need, though it remains to be seen whether >it can be ported properly and made fast enough to run >inside java. keep your fingers crossed.

Wow - that would be amazing - please try to make it work somehow. No more potato-print antialiasing! Wink
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2006, 1:49pm

Siiii!!!

The antigrain library is fantastic.
I had ported one of the Bezier and Quadratic curves segmentators for Geomerative. And I also use a modified version of the GPCj (General Polygon Clipping port to Java) whose corresponding C version is also used in antigrain.

So if you need any help porting some parts of it, let me know.

I still don't have access to the svn though.  Because I'm behind a firewall that I can't configure.

Hope I can help!

BTW: I'm going to be in Barcelona during OFFF, maybe we could meet up there sometime.
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2006, 3:42pm

yeah, though i think antigrain has its own clipper that it can use without the gpcj stuff since the license for gpcj isn't compatible with the LGPL on the rest of the code. i think antigrain's will be ok, though depending on how both progress, i may just have to contact the authors for permission.

i was pleased to find antigrain, before that i was looking at cairo which is kinda huge.. and there's this funny gap between the libs like cairo that try to do everything and the pile of hacks that make things like anti-aliasing or stroke caps, or whatever work properly.. in the latter case, they just don't add up to a proper lib, which is what happened with the original P2D.

as for the internal lines on shapes, that's just something i need to rework so that P3D and friends won't try to antialias lines that aren't part of the exterior. fairly straightforward but a pretty basic/structural thing that requires an afternoon or two with a clear head and a good cup of coffee.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1