We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › EXTEND: Advanced Processing Workshop in OFFF06
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
EXTEND: Advanced Processing Workshop in OFFF06 (Read 1183 times)
EXTEND: Advanced Processing Workshop in OFFF06
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:48pm

Hi all,

As part of the OFFF Festival in Barcelona in May we are doing a very special one week advanced Processing Workshop with Ben, Casey, Zachary Lieberman and Marius Watz. The fee is really really cheap (50 Euro); we believe it's a good opportunity for having people from the community from all over Europe (and I hope beyond!) to get together, collaborate and discuss the future of Processing.

All info about applications can be found here:

http://www.offf.ws/bcn/html/programa.php?venue=workshops〈=en

EXTEND: Advanced Processing Workshop
Led by Casey Reas, Ben Fry, Marius Watz and Zachary Lieberman

Barcelona, HANGAR 8 - 12 May.
A project by OFFF and HANGAR part of OFFF 2006.

Processing is a free, open source programming language and environment for artists, desgined for coding images, animation, and behavior. It is easily extended to read data from sensors, import/export 2D and 3D file formats, and communicate with other programs through diverse data protocols.

During the last three years, Processing has fostered an active community with thousands of members that work with this environment in all areas of creativity, while it is used as a learning tool in universities, art and design schools and centers for artistic production all over the world. The founders of the project, Ben Fry and Casey Reas, received the Ars Electronica 2005 Golden Nica as a recognition of the deep impact of Processing in the recent development of new media art.

HANGAR and the OFFF Festival are pleased to announce EXTEND, a one week collaborative workshop around Processing where participants will develop their own projects in cooperation with some of the most significant artists in the Processing community. The workshop will be led by main developers of the environment Casey Reas and Ben Fry, along with Marius Watz and Zachary Lieberman.

The themes of the workshop will be directed based on the applications submitted, but potential topics include computer vision, advanced motion, information visualization, sensing, and 3D graphics. A special focus of the workshop will be how to extend the capabilities of Processing building libraries and tools.

Participants will work in small groups or alone in collaboration with the workshop leaders to explore their project ideas.
How to apply

Contents and topics of the workshop will be determined according to the applications received, but it will not be in any case an initiation course. Participants must have a previous knowledge of Processing and, if possible, having completed some project in the environment.

The workshop will take place May 8-12 at HANGAR. On May 13, the projects developed will be presented at Barcelona’s Center for Contemporary Culture (CCCB) as part of the activities of the OFFF festival.

The deadline for applying is April 21st . The inscription fee for the workshop is 50 Euro. Up to twenty applications will be selected among all received.

Applicants interested in participating can submit their requests to: info@hangar.org

Including:

1. A brief personal and professional biography
  2. Brief account of their previous experience with Processing and, in case of having developed projects or pieces with it, access to them through a selection of links or attached files.

Re: EXTEND: Advanced Processing Workshop in OFFF06
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2006, 4:37am

Damn damn damn.

I am in Europe until the 5th! I wish I had have known about this before... would have extended my trip for sure.

Oh well. Next time I suppose.
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2006, 1:52am

The workshop has ended. It was wonderful. Thank you to all the participants and the staff at Hangar. Marius documented many of the happenings here:

http://workshop.evolutionzone.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/watz/sets/72057594130242973/
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2006, 9:40am

david cuartielles has some more nice pictures

http://flickr.com/photos/dcuartielles/sets/72057594132902282/

and yes it was wonderful. thanks very much to the fab four, lots of knowledge to digest now.
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2006, 10:49am

It really was a great week, it was inspiring to see so many people creating new work of such high level. I'm particularly pleased that several libraries and tools for the community were being worked on during the workshop.

David's pictures are excellent, probably the best high school yearbook pose you are likely to get of the Processing kids...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1