We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Question about JOGL (Read 3349 times)
Question about JOGL
Jan 18th, 2006, 4:46pm

Hi there

I've got a small question about JOGL use.  I see that in PGraphicsGL has the line:

Code:

import net.java.games.jogl.*;

and when browsing the internet to correct some problems I was having with the JOGLAppletLauncher, I found the JOGL page in at java.net: https://jogl.dev.java.net/

whose demo applet uses another JOGL package:

Code:

import javax.media.opengl.*;
import com.sun.opengl.util.*;

My questions are:
1 - What are the differences between the two JOGL packages?
2 - If one is newer than the other one? Whould we update PGraphicsGL?
3 - If the two JOGL packages have the same API, can we just change the import line?
4 - Can we use Java's JOGLAppletLauncher? (this is nice since it has a trusted signature)

Thanks for the help to this matter.

I'm trying to present something that uses JOGLApplets in SIGGRAPH before 27th Jan.

But the applets have a few problems at the moment (they sometimes crash my Firefox entirely).

Could anybody help me out with them?  If anybody can help I can send him the link to the page so he can try and see what's wrong.  I don't want to put the link public yet.

cheers to all
Re: Question about JOGL
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2006, 7:27pm

if this is just a jogl question, please use the jogl discussion boards. this doesn't sound like a question that has to do with helping out the development of processing, which is the intent of this board.
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2006, 7:42pm

Well, I think it's about developping Processing.  Since what I'm asking is if we should update the PGraphicsGL.java file in the Processing sourcecode for it to use the latests JOGL releases.
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2006, 9:41pm

sorry, i seem to have misinterpreted your question.

the newer package syntax is for a next generation jogl (2.0?). we'll switch to that once it's a final release. for the time being, we're using the jogl 1.1 packaging setup. there are more details on the changes buried somewhere on the jogl site, as some of the jogl api calling is set up differently as i understand it.
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2006, 9:46pm

alright,
I'll still have a try at it (try compiling PGraphicsGL.java with the new jogl), if I get any improvements I'll let you know.

I really would like to fix the nasty bugs of OPENGL mode for Applets, before releasing the project.

thanks
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2006, 12:15am

have you filed any of these nasty bugs with opengl mode in the bugs database? i'm not aware of any, outside of the fact that you can't use jogl in a browser because of how java's security model is (correctly) implemented to prevent people from installing and running arbitrary native code on anyone's machine. that issue is something we'd like to make easier, but it's not a bug so much as a feature i'd like to provide.
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2006, 1:16am

the only problem that I think has to do with Processing is already in the bug database: the fact that the inner triangle edges of TRI_STRIPS are visible.

the are other two problems.  One is that the opengl renders quite different under different computers. And in general, Windows accentuates antialiasing more than in Linux (don't know about Mac). I have tried to change the graphical card's drivers to let the application choose the antialiasing, but haven't had good results.

finally the third problem is that I have been able to use JOGL in web (using the JOGLAppletLauncher), and it works ok (signing the applet and with the user accepting the certificate). But after a few views of different applets Firefox suddenly crashes.  The fact that I want to use the latest jogl, is to be able to use their JOGLAppletLauncher which is signed by Sun (I thinkg), but for sure is trusted.

I'll send you the link by email to see what I mean.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1