We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Library Suggestion: more Random Distributions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Library Suggestion: more Random Distributions (Read 1182 times)
Library Suggestion: more Random Distributions
Nov 12th, 2005, 3:39am

Hi,

I'm currently working on another library and can't tackle this one right now.  Also I don't have much knowledge in generating random numbers.

And while writing a little sketch I thought it could be nice to have a library with a very simple API that generates random numbers from different distributions from the uniform (random() from the core.  Some that I found in the Wikipedia:

+ Discrete distributions:
- normal
- poisson
- binomial
- negative binomial distribution
- Maxwell-Boltzmann

+ Continuous distributions:
- normal
- gamma
- student's t
- exponential

It would also be nice to choose the parameters.

Last week I attended a research seminar which talked a bit on how to compute some generation of random number using Markov Models, and it sounded a bit advanced.
But I think that a simpler implementation would do the job, specially if it's fast, even if losing precision.

Is there anybody out there who likes the idea Any opinions

thanks
ricard
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1