We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › running Processing in MAX/MSP
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
running Processing in MAX/MSP ? (Read 6795 times)
running Processing in MAX/MSP ?
Oct 15th, 2005, 8:54pm

Hoi there,

I am wondering if it might be possible to use processing within Max/MSP? Any ideas of it?

Manuel
Re: running Processing in MAX/MSP ?
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2005, 10:01pm

Not sure what you have in mind, exactly, but you might want to take a look at maxlink: http://jklabs.net/maxlink
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2005, 11:09pm

Hi Jesse,

I was actually looking at the fact that you can run Java inside of MAX/MSP, including an editor and compiler...so it should also be possible to run Processing in MAX/MSP - which in my case would be awesome. Just that I am totally new to Processing and dont really know about the MAX JAVA part as well so I am seeking some experienced opinions Smiley
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2005, 5:39pm

I think MaxLink is what you're looking for. At the very least, it'll let you launch processing sketches from within MAX, and communicate data between the two applications.  I'm planning to use it in my design -- I haven't been able to get time on the Max/MSP workstation here at school but I'll let you know how it goes once I get a chance to try.
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2005, 7:19pm

Well I know about maxlink, but I really want to run processing inside of Max Smiley
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2005, 1:48am

What exactly are you trying to do?  Maxlink will let you load Processing sketches within Max/MSP, but there aren't a lot of reasons to do that in practice.

How do you want to integrate the two environments?  If you have an example, I might be able to help...
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2005, 10:42am

Ok, open up this:
MaxMSP 4.5\java-doc\mxj~ examples

There are a lot of examples where java is used inside of Jitter - like a normal block!
Thats what I want to do - have Processing embedded in Jitter to make some funky visuals Smiley
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2005, 1:16pm

Ah, got it.

I played around with that a little bit when Jitter 1.5 came out, since that version introduced mxj access to the matrix video object.  Unfortunately, the native format for Jitter video is multiple matrix layers (one for each color component), and I found it computationally expensive to convert Processing packed int colors for every pixel on every frame.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about image processing algorithms would have better success, but my guess is that even with a better algorithm, there's going to be a significant speed hit.

(I would love to be told otherwise -- if anyone has any ideas, let me know.)
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2005, 6:13am

from what ive done using the processing max link library, i think it has an enormous potential to develop extremely intuitive graphical user interfaces.
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:43am

Hmm... is there anything similar for PD?
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2006, 2:26pm

Maybe connecting using osc???
I'm interested on this one too.
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2008, 10:33pm

I'm doing a project for college. I'm linking processing and max msp using maxlink.  It's been a bit tricky installing all of them as the cycling 74 folder doesn't go directly intp the application support folder. I've had to drag it there. I don't know if that is how to do it or whether there is a fault in the installation process.  My first goal is to print out "Hello World" in Max MSP from Processing.  Anyone know how to do that?
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 1:35am

Hi all,

I'm having trouble connecting max/msp and processing through the maxlink object. I downloaded maxlink and followed all the instructions in order to install it; but when i run the sketches of the examples folder the max patch does not print anything. It seems there's no communication between the programs.
I guess there is something wrong in my installation process, but i checked it a lot of times. I dragged all the folders in the right places, and modified the max.java.config.txt adjusting the max.dynamic.jar.dir directory.

I have windows xp running on my pc, i'm using max/msp 4.5, processing 1.0.1 and i've downloaded maxlink 0.35. And I don't know what to do!

Is there anyone able to help me, please?
Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2009, 10:44am

pierusu, I had some problems getting it up and running on PC running Win XP also. But I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I'm on max 5, win xp, processing 1.0+ and its working for me

-if you installed max to a location other than c:\program files\ (like to D drive or some other drive) there are still some cycling 74 files put in the c:\program files directory. I think I may have had to do something there w/ either copying some maxlink files or tweaking a configurations file to get it to work. I think maybe one of the files the installation instructions mentions exists in both the c:\ directory and whatever other drive max is installed to, so at first I may have been putting the configurations in the wrong file(?)
-could be windows/firewall/router complications, if that applies to you. I am behind a router and Maxlink won't connect on my machine unless I am connected to the router
-it should be throwing an error in both processing and max when a connection is not made, btw. Processing will confirm when a connection is made. If you see the confirmation and still no data going back/forth then I dunno. I think color picker is the easiest example to test the connection on, btw.

good luck
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1