We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › build directory
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
build directory (Read 521 times)
build directory
Oct 11th, 2005, 11:36pm

Hello,

I am trying to use Processing in a class room setting and encountering some problems.
I'd appreciate if you all could give me some advice. (I read through the FAQ, and searched the bug database but was not able to find information that seemed to solve my problem...sorry if it already was discussed in this board...)

I am using
Mac OS 10.3.8
Processing .91

I have Processing in the shared folder "Application". (Installed by Admin, hence owned by Admin).

[Problem 1]:
When I start Processing,
Processing gives me an error

"A problem occurred while trying to open the files used to store the console output.".

I am guessing that Processing is trying to write its stdout to file /Applications/Processing/stdout.txt
but as I mentioned before, normal users do not have write permission to files in /Applications/Processing/.......any elegant way around this? (I could just give all users access to stdout.txt....)

[Problem 2]

A more serious problem for me is that, Processing (Java?) seems to be using /tmp/build as a build directory.
FAQ mentions default build directory as
Users -> (your user name) -> Library -> Processing ->build

using /tmp/build as a build directory causes problems in a multi-user environment...one student logs out and another logs in, but cannot write to /tmp/build due to permissions....(one can reboot the system to clean up /tmp/ but...not an elegant solution...)
Does anybody have  advice? How can I set the default build directory back to ~user/Library/Processing/build ?

Thank you!

Aki.

Re: build directory
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005, 11:58pm

yeah.. i keep trying to find the right solution for this and each thing i've tried seems to break in one environment or another, so i'd appreciate your input.

writing to the console stuff is an oversight, i'll make a note to fix that.

but as for the build directory.. that's interesting that /tmp/build is actually a problem (i can see why, and it's easily solved by randomizing the name ala /tmp/build_14194 or something like that). in some other environments, writing to ~user/Library/ was causing trouble, though that was more for windows.

anyways, check out lib/preferences.txt in the processing folder for some info about the default build path. in your environment, you can edit this file and then redistribute a version of processing with that preferences.txt which will be used as the default settings for any of your users. after having installed, you can edit the user preferences.txt file (its location is described in the faq) to set a specific path.
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2005, 7:56pm

filing this as a bug:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=177
and closing thread so we can follow up over there.
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005, 8:48pm

p.s. the editor console problem is fixed for revision 94. it now puts the console stdout.txt and stderr.txt into the build folder. now we just need to figure out how to make the build folder properly writable...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1