We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Critical Impact
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Critical Impact (Read 3665 times)
Critical Impact
Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:24am

Just a thought, but is it worth compiling something like an online-journal to reflect processing in a wider cultural context. I understand that papers about processing have appeared in a variety of books and journals etc., but given the size of this community, I'm sure processing is being used for a whole host of other things, perhaps worth knowing about. Also a set of links to existing articles might prove useful in orientating newcomers.

This community must surely represent a number of academics working in a range of disciplines able to form an efficient editorial panel and peer review group.

As I said, just a thought.
Re: Critical Impact
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2005, 8:51am

An excellent point, Mark, but I wonder if a centrally organized journal wouldn't prove to be a bottleneck. I'm not actually so sure about the Processing community producing academics, editorial panels and peer review. The Processing spirit seems to be more about autodidacts, DIY and source code sharing. In fact, I don't know of any proper papers about Processing per se. (Correct me, anyone)

Right now Tom Carden's Processing blog aggregator does a good job of picking up work by Processing users who have blogs. I would suggest that as regular reading. I'm currently maintaining (shameless plug) the Generator.x blog about generative art and design, which includes a fair amount of Processing information.

Of course, if a substantial body of (academic) information comes into being it should be linked from this site.
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2005, 11:36am

Cog and Hub

It's precisely as you describe, autodidactic learning and sharing will inevitably give rise to new ways of thinking about and practicing art. I guess the idea of an online journal is an opportunity for reflection and critical discourse. Clearly there exists a community of users (such as myself) who are interested in how practice and academic research into practice can benefit from developments such as processing, and seek ways of disseminating such knowledge.

For instance the artist/ programmer debate isn't common currency in fine art depts., yet there is a proliferation of practices using new technology and they continue to grow. Given the nature of processing and its continual growth it would be advantagous to have a repository of writing around this subject.

Perhaps Tom is interested in adding this to the Blog? I'm tempted to say that blogging is a very valuable way of accessing people's ideas, but perhaps there is room for some kind of summation.

It may be unnecessary as you say, and needlessly complicating something that already works well enough.

Is there a Processing book/ publication in the pipe? Lifting that kind of thing from a library shelf might be a useful way of engaging new audiences, especially if it covers the diversity of practices that currently use processing, i.e. my own practice, essentially about the drawing process makes use of processing as part of a general network of translation and transference in the physical and virtual, a kind of double function is assigned to processing as both cog and hub. There are definitely others!

Anyway, I waffle...

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2005, 8:55pm

Hmm, in Ben's last status report there are mumblings about Casey working on an "official book" on Processing, but I have no hard facts about that. The community would of course benefit from the outside recognition a book would give, and I think it's a matter of time before one happens anyway.

Having been blogging for a little while now, I see the power of blogs but they function more as temporal texts, usually lacking a depth that an actual article would have. I do enjoy the aspect of distributed narratives blogs can have, though. Blogs fill a different purpose than these forums, too. I would agree that the forums are excellent for getting stuff done, but they're pretty poor for academic knowledge production.

There have been thinking (and writing) on the artist / programmer phenomenon as far back as computers have existed. Generative art arguably has an even longer pedigree than the computer. Currently, there is a move on to find historical references and roots for the generative art movement, with conceptualists like Sol LeWitt and abstract artists like Bridget Riley being convenient examples.

In the Generator.x conference I am trying to bring to light the theoretical side of the discourse, but through practicians. Unfortunately, being a non-academic I have not been very careful to make sure that there will be a written documentation of the project. So the blog will have to do.

For the record, many artists publish their texts online:
- Texts by Golan Levin
- Texts by Casey Reas
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2005, 10:15pm

The idea of generative art certainly pushes the envelope in terms of who might be included within a speculative history. Thinking totally left-field to encompass the likes of Vito Acconci, well... certainly Brecht and Wiener. I guess for me the ephemeral nature of performance-based practices equates on some level with computer-based practices. I guess the danger lies in overstepping the boundaries to all inclusivity, whereby any practice may be considered procedural, in that self-narrative/ conceptual impetus on a very abstract level might be said to resemble code.

Saying that, a general league table would be interesting in terms of who does and does not qualify, and why? That alone might prove very revealing and a useful way to proceed in terms of identifying roots.

I saw the conference post recently and am interested to hear what happens.

I wonder how the offical processing book contextualizes itself, what kind of references it uses; The year 0 scenario is always one to be cautious of.
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2005, 8:55am

Not forgetting Paul Klee of course. He'd have to be in my league table.
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2005, 12:54pm

As far as pushing the boundaries is concerned, try reading some texts by Florian Cramer if you haven't already. He and some other software art theorists expand the notion of software to include natural language speech acts, so that a lot of Fluxus artists are suddenly software artists as well.

He presents an interesting extreme, but becomes a bit mystical sometimes (as seen in his Words Made Flesh booklet).

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/

http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/mdr/research/fcramer/wordsmadeflesh/
Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2005, 1:48pm

mark hill wrote on Jul 28th, 2005, 11:36am:
For instance the artist/ programmer debate isn't common currency in fine art depts., yet there is a proliferation of practices using new technology and they continue to grow. Given the nature of processing and its continual growth it would be advantagous to have a repository of writing around this subject.

Perhaps Tom is interested in adding this to the Blog I'm tempted to say that blogging is a very valuable way of accessing people's ideas, but perhaps there is room for some kind of summation.

Just to pick up this point - the criteria for inclusion in Processing Blogs as it currently stands are very relaxed. I would include any periodically updated site which features at least some Processing-related content and is available as an XML/RSS/Atom feed. I don't think it serves as a good place for longer explorative or discursive writing.  I wouldn't start posting that kind of content on my current blog either, though I might post it elsewhere and discuss it on my blog.  (In my experience, even blogs where people discuss their work and its critical impact tend to be 'meta' in this way.  Especially if people's work is blogging Smiley ).

I think I consider the possibility of a 'Processing Journal' in much the same way as I now consider the 'Processing London' meetings we tried to organise.  We would arrive, and show our work, and maybe half of it would be Processing.  But the thing which drew us together was the things we had learnt whilst exploring our ideas within Processing, not this or that implementation platform.  (I have since encouraged people to attend dorkbot London instead - it's a more open and appropriate platform, where one can focus on the work not on how it was implemented).

I think what I'm trying to say, to borrow toxi's phrase (again), is that "Processing is an approach".  It goes from strength to strength in terms of power and stability, and remains an admirably concise and expressive form of Java, but its main strengths lie in the community, reference, tutorials, learning and teaching environment.

On the subject of the background to generative art, I think that visual/experiential/constructive/procedural expression has existed throughout history.  It's reflected in our fascination with natural phenomena, too.  Across cultures there are creative things people have done which I would call generative/procedural art (accepting your caution that this could be too open a definition).  I clumsily attempted to enumerate some of these things here in response to a question about the history of generative art.  (Yes there is an element of "ooh shiny!" to it all too, I think).

One thing I would like to see explored is the fact that there is a noticable "Processing look" (more than just 200x200 clickable thingy, but that's not far off).  I think that the higher profile Processing pieces almost all eschew this look, but it is there nevertheless.  Is it as a result of the mindset of Processing users, a result of the implied artistic validity of certain kinds of work, or a result of the software making certain procedures and effects 'easy'  Is it the result of the low barrier to sharing and publishing work, even for people new to the field (Do Director or Flash have a similar influence on look and feel  What about MAX/MSP  I would argue yes.)

Anyway, I waffle... Wink

Yes, there's room for critical theory in Processing.  But I would rather see it join the existing bodies of work on interactive art, generative art, interaction design, game design and so on.  I would welcome pointers to journals or other platforms which already contain this type of discussion.

Elsewhere:
http://www.mediaartnet.org/
(http://www.mediaartnet.org/themes/generative-tools/ in particular)
http://www.rhizome.org/
http://www.generative.net/
(http://www.generative.net/papers/aesthetics/ for example)
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2005, 8:06pm

well, my thesis is not about Processing but about what Processing is about..
www.lunetta.com.br/avea
Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2005, 3:29pm

Casey's talking about his favourite/inspirational books, here:

http://www.inspireme.tv/view.php?id=5
Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:07pm

Good call, I've not had a great deal of joy getting decent documentation of the E.A.T experiments. looks as though the Machine as seen at the end of the Mechanical age might do the business. Pricey! but can be got for about £40 if you shop around.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1