We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Scanner as input
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Scanner as input (Read 1163 times)
Scanner as input
Jun 27th, 2005, 2:17pm

Hello and thanx for the previous answer!

I'm working on an augmented card game where I'm going to use a scanner. Until today, I've used the scanner to scan the game-board, save the image to the computer and then analyze the image with processing software presenting the output.

My question is if anyone know if it is possible to control the scanner directly from processing, scanning the game-board and use the data directly in processing.

Regards, Johan.
Re: Scanner as input
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2005, 3:15pm

For that you'd have to look at the programing API spec for your scanner to see if its possible to send the scanner messages via Java - thats a tough one I'm not sure where to begin.

You may make more process with a webcam - and then using the webcam/video plugin for processing. Just a suggsetion.
Re: Scanner as input
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2005, 10:23pm

You could figure out how to automate the scanning process with another programming language and just have Processing initiate the automation and then read in the resulting JPEG image.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1