We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › input file not found - sketches don't run
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
input file not found - sketches don't run (Read 5878 times)
input file not found - sketches don't run
Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:06pm

hi.

i've just installed the version 0091, and i can't run
any sketch. not even the examples.

i always get the following error message :

--------------------------------------------------------------

D:/Softs/Coding/processing-0091/..java:0:0:0:0: Semantic Error: The input file "C:/DOCUME~1/L?O/LOCALS~1/Temp/build/Temporary_5042_3539.java" was not found.

--------------------------------------------------------------

..and i'm working on Windows XP.

could anyone give me a hint ?

thanks!
Re: input file not found - sketches don't run
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2005, 7:21am

what's your login name on windows? looks like it contains something weird, though i'm confused because the whole point of the changes for 91 was to fix this sort of thing.
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2005, 7:26am

my login name is "Léo" ... yeah, that must be the problem.

i'm gonna change it and i'll let you know.

thank you.
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2005, 4:58pm

bummer.. Léo shouldn't be "weird", i wonder if the fixes for some names with ascii characters perhaps broke it for others.

what language is your version of windows? i wonder if english versions of windows (where i debug) are treating this differently.
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2005, 6:10pm

my windows version is in english,

but that pc is not mine, and i don't have the permission to create another account, so i'm going back to my old p3 700 MHz ...  =(

thanks anyway.  =)

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2005, 3:33am

I use XP home edition in Korean.
I have similar problem and can't run 91.
Although the error message says
"
C:/Download/Processing/Processing/processing-0091/..java:0:0:0:0: Semantic Error: The input file "C:/DOCUME~1/??????/LOCALS~1/Temp/build/Temporary_9422_2161.java" was not found.
"
the java file:Temporary_9422_2161.java does exit in that directory.

Since 69 did not have the problem, I realized that it is the Korean characters used in directory names.
In 69 the temporary Java files are created in ..\lib\build\ under the lib directory.

In new 91 version they are moved to
**\Documents and Settings\소유주\Local Settings\Temp\Build\.
The directory name just below **\Documents and Settings is the directory name in Korean which means "owner". This is is the system directory whose name I can not change at my will.
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2005, 2:51pm

is your username the three characters represented by: 소유주 ? if so, i'll try setting up an account with that name and see if i can get it to cause the problem.

the reason that 91 is using the new folder is because supposedly that's a safer place to put temporary files, but it's obviously turning out not to be the case.
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2005, 3:02pm

hm, i've just tried both Léo and 소유주 and both work fine on my machine. i wonder what the difference is?

are you both using xp home? are you using service pack 2? i need to figure out how to make it break so that i can debug it Undecided
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2005, 3:04pm

another thought, are you using the standard or "expert" (non-java) version of processing? i wonder if you're missing some java files if you didn't download the version that included java.
Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:24am

I am using standard version ,Java included.
My XP home edition is with SP2.
I have another PC with XP professional installed and in that machine 91 runs fine. In that machine the user name is in English and the directory name where temproray Java files are created are all ASCII characters.

Anohter problem with the 91 is that sketchbook dirctory is being built when you first run 91 and the directory is some funny characters, neither English nor Korean and can not recognize next time. Every time when your launch 91, 91 asks to create a new directory for sketchbook.
This problem is fixed by modifying preferences.txt file
sketchbook.path=C:\Documents and Settings\proc\My Documents\Processing
and changing strange charactered dirctory name to "proc" by hand.
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2005, 8:56pm

you can also set sketchbook.path to just something like "sketchbook" which will make the sketchbook a subfolder of the processing folder. more information can be found in processing-0091/lib/pde.properties.

other questions.. 1) could you try making a non-ascii user account on the xp pro machine and see if it works for you? i wonder if it's a problem with xp home vs. xp pro.. 2) did this work in rev 90?
Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:44pm

It is surely non-ascii user name causing compliler error.
In XP Pro version, I created user name with Korean characters and the complier cannot recognize the build directory.

On the other hand when I create user name in ASCII code in my XP home machine, rev 91 runs OK with a minor problem. It does not start from processing directly but only from "run.bat", possibly because default paths are not correctly set.

As to the rev 90, I dowloaded on XP pro machine and in Korean user name, I get similar compiler error messages:

Compiler error, please submit this code to http://processing.org/bugs/

Error: The directory specified in the "-d" option, "C:\Documents and Settings\??????\Application Data\Processing\build", is either invalid or it could not be expanded.

Error: The directory specified in the "-d" option, "C:\Documents and Settings\??????\Application Data\Processing\build", is either invalid or it could not be expanded.

use: jikes [options] [@files] file.java...

use: jikes [options] [@files] file.java...

For more help, try -help or -version.

For more help, try -help or -version.

------
1 (Is this error code? )

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2005, 5:07pm

right, i understand that it's the non-ascii user name (this has been a problem for a long time0, i was just hoping that it was only a problem on xp home versus xp pro. i can't figure out why non-ascii names work on my own machines and not on other people's machines.

any other ideas? like are these machines upgraded from windows 2000 or clean installs? are these administrator-level accounts or only basic users?
Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2005, 1:07pm

my machine isn't upgraded from windows 2000.
it's a totally clean, and recent install of Windows XP Professional.

my account is administrator-level.
Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2005, 11:39pm

k, i'm completely stuck but have it logged in the bugs database. any follow-up will happen there so i'm closing this thread.

build folder problems:
http://processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=49
sketchbook folder problems:
http://processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=50
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1