We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Common Grounds clarification
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Common Grounds clarification (Read 2453 times)
Common Grounds clarification
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:53pm

I have been following Processing for over a year now. I mainly use Blender and Python as my tech-artist medium; however, I am looking to develope software to run on my machines that I have already started in Blender/Python. I noticed there's a "no commercial use" under the OpenGL library. Does this mean I can not use processing to program my application/applet, if it will help produce a real object I want to sell? I guess I could prototype in Processing and then do a rewrite to java/jogl. Great work, always inspiring! Thanks.

Rob
Re: Common Grounds clarification
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2005, 12:19am

where'd you see something saying "no commercial use"? perhaps it was on the jogl code itself, not our stuff?
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2005, 12:24am

When you look at the library/OpenGL page on Processing.org, it has a CC logo underneath. This is supposedly the license for the page it sits on. This is the link it sends you to: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The Second icon below has the dollar sign with slash: no commercial use. Is this referring to something else

Thanks.

Rob
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2005, 12:25am

BTW, I am implementing a cnc code genearator for 3d meshes. I would like to prototype some of this in Processing/OpenGL. Right now, I've done most of it in Python/Blender. Thanks.

Rob
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2005, 10:35am

Take a look at the license metadata:
Code:

dc:description>Reference for the Processing.org programming environment and language.</dc:description>

So the CC-Licens is of the documentation and not of the library itself, I think.
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2005, 4:16pm

So, as long as I don't include the processing environment or it's language in my product, I can create a commercial applet? Thanks.

Rob
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2005, 7:42pm

yeah, the cc license is for the documentation/site/examples, that sort of thing. casey decided to do that because it seemed more fitting for its goals, where GPL and LGPL make more sense for the code for the environment and library (processing.core) respectively.
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2005, 8:01pm

So, is it possible to write and sell applications that are compiled with the processing core module (PApplet)?
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2005, 8:47pm

Yes, it's fine to write commercial applications with Processing. Actually, I think it's a good idea.
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2005, 10:23pm

Well in that case, I will definitely rethink my strategies. I do plan on releasing the source code to the application, however, it's the product that I am machining that's for sale, not the software. Are there any benchmarks for Processing so I can do an apples to apples comparison to Python? Thanks, again.

Rob
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1