We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Comments, please
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Comments, please? (Read 1840 times)
Comments, please?
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:55pm

Hi, my name is Max Kaufmann, and I'm an art/math major at Carnegie Mellon University.  I was introduced to processing through Prof. Golan Levin.  I've been putting together an open-source toolkit of miscellanea, and I'd like to know what people think.  Here's a demo:

http://andrew.cmu.edu/~mwkaufma/gob2/

Demonstrated Features:
(1) An alternate OBJ loader that doesn't lose faces and can render shading groups separately (is there a fast, better way to do shading to gloss over the ugly polygon edges?)
(2) A simple slider widget (I don't like all the mouse method calls... maybe I should simplfy it to just an update() function?)
(3) An animation controller (this one's pretty cool and easy to port to different programs.  I think I want to move the looping mechanism from the main controller to a per-timeline basis(?)  Also, maybe methods to export and import animations from a datafile(?))

Future Ideas:
(1) A simple interface for springs
(2) A fluid mechanics class (any references on this?)
(3) More simple widgets
Re: Comments, please?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005, 5:10am

I changed the AnimationController to handle looping on a Timeline by Timeline basis.  I could make an instruction website and library out of this, would anyone like that, or is this sort of animator already pretty common?
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2005, 11:10am

Can you please explain this project a bit more? Is it an OBJ importer + Animation importer? Is the animation procedural?

Sorry.. a bit tired @_@ didn't take a good look at your code.

Good stuff :} And oh yeah, Golan came over to my school a few weeks ago to give us a guest critique XD
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005, 4:59pm

Both.  The obj loader is a class in the utility file and the animation controller uses keys and the millis() function to set parameters (in this case, the arm angles).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1