We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › External editor: Scite
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
External editor: Scite (Read 3957 times)
External editor: Scite
May 31st, 2005, 2:23pm

Scite is my editor of choice. I won't get into that now, my question is. Is it possible, and if so, how, to compile a certain .pde from commandline? In scite I can set for any filetype some commands, like, for example, in flash I can compile the opened swf, in php I can refresh an addres, in perl, compile perl, etc.

Is it possible to to such a thing with processing ? Like maybe

d:/processing/processing.exe -c $(FileNameExt)

or maybe just

d:/processing/processing.exe -start

to compile the current pde, etc.

Re: External editor: Scite
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2005, 2:57pm

BTW, I think you should look into it, maybe support it, as it's open source and really easy to add hints, syntax colouring, links to reference, and a lot of other stuff, without even having to compile it, just by editing some preferences files.
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2005, 5:46pm

seconded, scite is a beautiful app.
i use jedit for most of my work due to the ftp plugin but scite is wonderfully fast and lightweight.

any pointers would be appreciated for using either of these with p5.
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2005, 10:00pm

i use scite for all sorts of textediting. I really like the syntax-highlighting:

a "modded" version for processing would be great, but I found changing the syntaxhighlighting not as straightforward as you say. Maybe I missed the easy way.

In example "context" makes providing of own keyword-lists much easier.

There is also a scite-clone for actionscript out there. a processing-version would be nice.
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2005, 1:53am

no command line option yet. for now you can set the preferences for "use external editor" and then edit away using scite, but you'll still have to hit the run button inside p5.
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2005, 10:48am

I see. I'll try and build a p5 friendly version and when it's finished I'll post here.
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2005, 1:14pm

In the mean time, could somebody code a small exe that when called could just execute RUN in processing, with whatever sketch is currently opened ?
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2005, 3:25pm

i appreciate that command line functions arent ready for general consumption and will go through some changes, but could some kind soul give us a clue as to what is available at the moment?
Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2005, 5:37pm

processing has no command line options.

you may be getting confused with another post about command line options for PApplet, which are just undocumented and unsupported.
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2005, 6:03pm

aaah, i see the light.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1