We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Exception in thread "main"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Exception in thread "main" (Read 5651 times)
Exception in thread "main"
Apr 22nd, 2005, 9:05am

hello guys,

i get this error whenever i try to create a Class.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files\Norton
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files\Norton

please help. thanks!

Jon
Re: Exception in thread "main"
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:13pm

maybe this will help?

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=SoftwareBugs;action=display;num=1114040731
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:28pm

good lord. i didnt understand a thing written in that link you gave!

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:49pm

Bit of a stab in the dark this one, but firstly you should make sure you're running the Windows standard version, and not the expert version.  If you are running the expert version, make sure you don't have Java 1.5 installed - it will cause a lot of headaches.

If the standard version doesn't fix it...

It's probably a problem with your CLASSPATH environment variable, or possibly the PATH one.  You can see what they are by opening up the command line in Windows (Start / Run... / cmd).  Then type:

Code:

C:\>echo %CLASSPATH%

If there are strange combinations of quote marks in there, you need to try and fix them.  (Sorry this is so vague, but it's worth a try).  There is an "Advanced" tab in System Properties (right click My Computer, choose Properties) that might help.  On my machine at least, there is an "Environment Variables" button in that tab, and you can edit CLASSPATH and PATH there.
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2005, 3:57am

hello TomC,

i tried your suggestion. this is what i got from echoing the CLASSPATH -- "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\lib\ext\QTJava.zip"

i went to look at this path using the explorer... and it looks right. the path is correct.

but when using the Alpha 0069, no such error appears. and my Classes work! funny.

Jon
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2005, 7:34am

try removing the quotes in the CLASSPATH and changing "Program Files" to "Progra~1".

also, what's you PATH look like? (do the same command prompt thing, but use echo %PATH% instead)
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2005, 7:56am

here you go:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ECHO %PATH%

C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.5\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys
tem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;"C:\Program Files
\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\"

my error message points to Files\Norton.
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2005, 5:46pm

I had a similar problem, but I did as fry suggested:

fry wrote on Apr 28th, 2005, 7:34am:
try removing the quotes in the CLASSPATH and changing "Program Files" to "Progra~1".

and also did the same for PATH and everything seems to be running smoothly now.
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2005, 6:34pm

Quote:
here you go:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ECHO %PATH%

C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.5\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys
tem32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;"C:\Program Files
\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\"

my error message points to Files\Norton.

yup, the norton install is screwing things up. remove the quotes around the norton ghost stuff and you should be in better shape.
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2005, 8:31am

got it working! thanx fry! Smiley

Jon
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2005, 3:04pm

now tracking this bug at:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=112
so closing thread.
Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2006, 3:07am

now fixed for rev 0102.