We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Some examples aren't working
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Some examples aren't working (Read 3745 times)
Some examples aren't working
Apr 21st, 2005, 1:45am

Some examples are not working for me. I've tried both the expert version (using sun jdk 1.5.0beta) and the standalone version. The error message is always the same:

<some blank lines>
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: and
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: and

<some blank lines>

Exception in thread "main"
Exception in thread "main"
<some blank lines>

It's strange also that I get all those blank lines in the output window. By the way, the code that's not working is for example "Kinetic Type", "Matrix" and it also happens if I try to use OpenGL with the other standard 3d examples by importing the library and changing P3D to OPENGL.
Re: Some examples aren't working
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2005, 1:52am

kenpex,

we're not testing with (i.e. not supporting) Java 1.5. please see the faq:
http://processing.org/faq/platforms.html#java

casey
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2005, 3:34am

Mhm true, that's the problem. But it's still a small bug, you should change the run.bat in the full version to not include the old path or call directly the included jvm. Forcing run.bat to use the "right" jvm worked fine.
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2005, 3:41am

Btw, I have the QTJava extension installed in my main java JRE, how can I copy it to the JRE included into processing too???
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2005, 3:43am

Ah, never mind, I've found that you included the QTJava.zip in the Classpath.
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2005, 5:52am

kenpex wrote on Apr 21st, 2005, 3:34am:
Mhm true, that's the problem. But it's still a small bug, you should change the run.bat in the full version to not include the old path or call directly the included jvm. Forcing run.bat to use the "right" jvm worked fine.

we have to include the path otherwise qtjava and any other native dll things will have trouble. we removed it for a couple releases and it created far more problems than it solved.

why not just use the standard version (the one that includes java) with the .exe the .bat file is just for troubleshooting if you can get the exe to work properly.
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2005, 1:44pm

Using the .exe still does not work, if you have another JDK installed it will use that one (it seems, as I get the same error). Why should changing the path cause trouble? I don't mean the classpath, just the path environment variable. I've just used "set PATH=java\bin" intead of "set PATH=java\bin;%PATH%" and it works. But I feel that the problem is somewhat more weird as doing this makes KinetikType work, but just using "start .\java\bin\javaw -ms128m -mx128m processing.app.Base" instead of "start javaw -ms128m -mx128m processing.app.Base" still gives me the very same problem. Also the KinetikType example works fine in IE when exported even if I'm using the JDK 1.5 java plugin in it. Ah, there's also a small problem with the video library, if you provide the wrong string
for the device name, it crashes instead of giving an error or returning the default device. And some examples don't work anymore with the beta, like the PushPop one that needs to be changed to use pushMatrix and popMatrix...
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2006, 12:16am

this bug has been fixed for rev 0102.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1