We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
'size()' reference (Read 1754 times)
'size()' reference
Apr 20th, 2005, 1:57am

I think in the 'size()' reference it should be added the brief description of the fourth renderer, I'm guessing it is P2D:

http://processing.org/reference/size_.html

Quote:
The MODE parameters selects which rendering engine to use. For example, if you will be drawing 3D shapes for the web use P3D, if you want to export a program with OpenGL graphics accelleration use OPENGL. A brief description of the 4 different renderers followS:

P3D (Processing 3D) - Fast 3D renderer for the web

JAVA2D - The default renderer, higher quality in general, but slower than P2D

OPENGL - Interface with OpenGL hardware accelleration to increase speed if an OpenGL graphics card is installed.

This is secondary and NOT a bug, so Casey and Ben don't read anymore if you are tired, jeje.

I was just trying to understand the 4 different renderers, for several reasons:
- would it be possible to implement new renderers in a modular way (Sequential TIFF or Targa (high resolution) renderer, with no screen display and optimized for quality; LCD specific renderer taking into account specific antialiasing; print renderer, taking into account how printers work)  (of course this is not the point of this post, just got excited with the idea, sorry)
- understand why strokeCap() and strokeJoin() aren't availabe on most renderers
Re: 'size()' reference
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2005, 2:19am

P2D isn't fully implemented as of now, that's why we've lots Java 1.1 support, because I ran out of time to get everything wired back in again. I think that's why Casey left it out of the reference (though maybe another line needs to be in there since it's referred to).

in general, though, renderers are now pluggable, so you can create a subclass of PGraphics that will do whatever you'd like (raytracer, java3d, dxf, etc). more details once the dust settles.
Re: 'size()' reference
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2005, 2:54am

I did the worst thing possible. I took the description of P2D out, but left in few references to it. Will update online now and will be in the next release. Thanks for pointing this out.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1