We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing Wiki
Pages: 1 2 
Processing Wiki (Read 6563 times)
Re: Processing Wiki
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 1:10am

toxi,

i'd love to read thru the notes you mentioned.

and i agree with you to a certain degree ...

yes, there are some quite nice ideas and implementiotions out there. my comment was more from a pragmatic point of view. i love to follow the ideas behind such projects as you mentioned and i love to come up with my own ideas about enhancing and improving the processing-site. but knowing that it can take ages for users to realize there's a search-function to the forum let's most dreams implode instantly. the main focus should be on our target-group, keeping it as simple as possible and giving casey some room to do other things he enjoyes more than fixing the site. and ... ideas never have been the problem with the update, it's people (as you realized). i don't wanna blame anyone for the lack of progress but the first thing to come up with is a good and reliable team to do the job.

another thing then is to ask ourselfs: how important is it to have the wiki in the overall use / sense of the site and how much time would we like to spend on installing / administrating that specific part? does it make sense to introduce a "complex" system at one end of the site while not improving the things that really need a fix (i.e. the pseudo-cms behind it)? and, if we are to rework the backend doesn't it make sense to rather have our own wiki-or-any-other-idea-code than to try to hop between packages? the story is endless ...

that said maybe the thread should be redirected to focus on what the main functionalities of the site are. what it needs to do really good and then to think about where to come up with a better way of doing it.

best,
florian
Re: Processing Wiki
Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2005, 5:11am

i think it's best to switch threads. this one started as martin announcing his contribution to our community and now we're bickering.  Wink
Pages: 1 2