FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   inconsistent weight
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: inconsistent weight  (Read 361 times)
ChrisHenden

inconsistent weight
« on: Sep 12th, 2004, 12:50pm »

I've started using processing and was dismayed when I exported to web, and found that the jar file was over 700k! See http://recurrence.co.uk/processing/sketch_040911b/applet/sketch_040911b. jar for an example. I've seen in other posts, and read in bugs.txt, that the large file size is a known problem - however, the exported size seems to be inconsistent - starting a new project with the same code results in a jar file of 108k - still quite big, but tolerable. Has anyone else found this variation in size - what am I doing to cause it?  
many thanks, chris
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2004, 12:55pm by ChrisHenden »  
mKoser

WWW Email
Re: inconsistent weight
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 1:26pm »

a guess off the top of my head ... try opening the sketch that exports the huge .jar file .... clear the history, and export it again.

does that change anything?

mikkel crone koser | www.beyondthree.com | http://processing.beyondthree.com
ChrisHenden

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 1:59pm »

Thanks for answering so quickly - but no ,clearing history makes no difference.
This isn't a massive problem, as starting a new project with the same code brings it back down to around 100k. But I was ready to head back to the land of text files and java compiling before I discovered this. You'd never have seen me again

fry

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:19pm »

it's because you've included 21 fonts, totalling ~600k in your sketch, and those get included when you export to the web. each time you select "add font" you're adding ~30k to the download since the font gets added to the 'data' folder of your sketch. to clear out fonts you don't need, use sketch -> show sketch folder and then delete the fonts you don't use.

when you started a new sketch there were no fonts added yet, so the export is much smaller.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:21pm by fry »  
ChrisHenden

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 11:17am »

Ah, I was beginning to stare suspiciously at the fonts. Thanks for confirming it.  

I put those fonts into the data folder manually while faffing, it didn't occur to me that they'd sneak in to the jar file.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »