FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Brendan Dawes Cinema Redux
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Brendan Dawes Cinema Redux  (Read 1242 times)
mookie

Brendan Dawes Cinema Redux
« on: Apr 6th, 2004, 10:01pm »

For anyone who missed it, Brendan Dawes was amazing at the Flash in the Can conference, catch him whenever you can.

I wonder if anyone can help me to create my own versions of cinema redux. I am very new to processing and i have downloaded brendan's code but i am lost from here. I don't know how the video gets to the code or how to export it as a useable file. i cannot attach a dvd player to my machine and i'm wondering if i can use a vcd or quicktime file.  

Can anyone help me with a step by step to this process, greatly appreciated,

dd

Charles Hinshaw

WWW Email
Re: Brendan Dawes Cinema Redux
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 4:23am »

The code is linked in the Exhibition section of this very site. I would suggest that you take a look through it and then ask specific questions about things that you are still fuzzy on (after trying to sort them out with the reference)...  

Charles Hinshaw
PHAERSE

http://www.phaerse.com
dave dobson
Email
« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 4:39am »

hi there, thanks for the reply and i have downloaded brendan's code. the problem is that i don't know how the video file connects with the script. could you maybe run through the code that finds the video file on your desktop for example and then explain how to run the script and export to the final product? hope you can help, thanks much. dd

TomC

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 11:19am »

Off the top of my head, I think Brendan used live video input, running his DVD player into a digital camera, and then using firewire to get it into processing.

If you have a live video source (digital camera, webcam) connected to your computer by firewire or USB, then processing (using quicktime) can access it using beginVideo(width,height,fps), the video image, and video.pixels.

If you want to load a file, the code's a bit different, and the file needs to be in your sketch's data folder, which can be opened via the "Sketch... show sketch folder" menu.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2004, 11:20am by TomC »  
mohn

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 3:38pm »

see: http://processing.org/learning/examples/loading_quicktime.html for loading qt file.

void setup()
{
  size(MOVIEWIDTH, MOVIEHEIGHT);
  background(0);

// THIS IS WHAT YOUR LOOKING TO ADJUST
  beginVideo(VWIDTH, VHEIGHT, 1);
//

}

remember - as TomC points out, your file needs to be in the data folder of your sketch.

you can also check out the reference section, which is really useful, you can also access this within p5 via HELP > REFERENCE.  

Martin also had a great API PDF over here http://decode.ateneo.edu/martin/p5reference/ (Thanks Martin!).

Brendan's code is fairly simple... if you need more help - drop a line

mohn
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2004, 5:40pm by mohn »  
dave dobson
Email
« Reply #5 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 3:45pm »

hi guys, you've been a great help but i'm still stuck. i won't be going the camera route as i don't have one. i'm trying to pull the video from a quicktime file i have now put in the data folder of the sketch i'm working on. can you tell me the code i would have to change within the brendan dawes sketch to get the video pulling correctly? thanks!
dd

mohn

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 3:48pm »

see above post --- mohn

dave dobson
Email
« Reply #7 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 4:12pm »

thanks mohn, i just saw your post, that looks exactly like what i need. i am having problems viewing quicktime i think though. i can open the individual quicktime file but when i try to run the original load_quicktime script the window does not open and my computer hangs. do you think i need a quicktime plugin or different version, i have the newest quicktime player?

any help is appreciated, thanks guys!
dd

mohn

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 4:48pm »

what p5 rev are you running and what platform are you on there was some strange qt stuff on xp/win platforms etc...

dave dobson
Email
« Reply #9 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 5:13pm »

ya i'm on windows xp, and i'm running versions .67 and.68 with the same results.

chico
Email
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 11:17am »

i'm having the same problem, i can't load a quicktime movie, neither my webcam. Did u solve the problem?, please tell me how.

Thank you; chico

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »