FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Processing on College PCs
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Processing on College PCs  (Read 540 times)
kevin

Processing on College PCs
« on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 6:47pm »

Hi all,

Having trouble installing processing on a college PC, anyone got any tips or knwo if it's possible without admin access. :/

- Kevin

REAS

Re: Processing on College PCs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:21pm »

kevin,

can you be more specific?  

for the PC:
my guess is you're having problems due to the required installation of quicktime for java and this requires admin access.

for me MAC:
you many not be able to access the "applications" directory in order to copy the files

regards,
casey

kevin

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:26pm »

Well, it's a PC running windows 2000.

Yea, I expect it's to do with java not being installed.

I wonder if it's possible to install java on the hard drive directly and just modify run.bat to point to that. I don't knwo much about java though.

It's odd, we can actually install many other applications, but the java installer does some checks.

When I used the standard version I got the Qt java error, but when I used the expert verison i got an error about not finding the javaw (I guess that means java isn't installed)

fry

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 8:06pm »

you only need to install java to run processing with the "expert" release. if you don't have admin privileges to install java, then you should use the "standard" release.  

if you got through the 'javaw' problem with the expert release,  you'd then get the quicktime problem.  

so unfortunately we just need to remove the quicktime requirement. as mentioned in the release notes, this is more difficult than expected, but i hope to fix it soon. casey had problems with this recently too so maybe i can bump it up on the priority list. lemme see what i can do.

kevin

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 4:20pm »

That sounds promising. I'll see if I can get onto our Computer Services people to install Java in the meantime.

Thanks for replying

- Kevin, in need of a laptop

fry

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 4:34pm »

just get them to install quicktime for java, and the standard rev will work (with no need to install java itself).

if you install java, then you'll still have the quicktime problem, so the latter is more important.

kevin

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 2:07pm »

Cheers for all that info, I got it sorted in the end.

Since I have write access to the C Drive, I simply got a copy of QTJava.zip and put it into C:\WINNT\system\ and processing works great now.

So if anyone else is trying to get it to run they can try that.

radelius

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 7:42pm »

I just downloaded processing -0065 standard, installed QT 6.3 with java and then started processing. The program starts and I open one of the examples. It works fine but nothing happens when I press the run button. Tryed to install J2SE but with no success. Running a Win XP machine.
What am I doing next?
I´m not a skilled programmer!

fry

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 10:15pm »

on Oct 13th, 2003, 7:42pm, radelius wrote:
I just downloaded processing -0065 standard, installed QT 6.3 with java and then started processing. The program starts and I open one of the examples. It works fine but nothing happens when I press the run button. Tryed to install J2SE but with no success. Running a Win XP machine.
What am I doing next
I´m not a skilled programmer!

someone else seems to be having similar trouble, so i'll follow up there for both of you..
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_general_action_displ_ay_num_1066083853.html

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »