FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   the future of computing science..
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: the future of computing science..  (Read 556 times)
bryan
Email
the future of computing science..
« on: Aug 6th, 2003, 1:34am »

hi, my question is, would it be reasonable to get a copmuter science degree and expect a consistent job in the US? ive heard people talk about how if the IT industry does recover soon it will need an abundant resource of computer science and it majors to fufill the market demands but there wont be enough with everyone avoiding the major.. everyone knows the IT job market isnt what it used to be. i was wondering if any computer science graduates or anyone else with some insite could lend some advice. how is it being a computer science major in the current status of the job market right now? besides having the passion for programming what reasons are there to pursue the degree. is it something that should now be kept as just a hobby?

kryptondog

kryptondog903 WWW
Re: the future of computing science..
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 7:49pm »

I'm going for a major in Computer Sciences this semester in college, and that's something that really bothers me.  I've heard a lot of horror stories about brilliant programmers who find themselves completely unable to get a job.  I certainly don't want to end up like that (not saying I'm a brilliant coder, but you know what I mean).

Honestly... and I have nothing to base this on but my own assumptions... I think it depends on the type of person you are.  I don't even know if I want to be a programmer when I leave college.  I don't know what I want to do.  I'm going to do my best to be as good as I possibly can be at as many things as I can be, and hope that's good enough out in the real world.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2003, 2:17pm »

it depends on the person as to who he/she wants to be. a college degree might be one of the keys towards a successful career but it is not the only key, and it is just one of the keys needed. there is much to be developed in the field of computer science. you will soon realize that computer science is not just about programming. don't just aim to be a programmer once you obtain your degree in computer science. there's so much more. trust me.

Glen Murphy

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2003, 3:36pm »

I think I've said this elsewhere in these forums in the past, so here goes: don't let future concerns about a job be your sole reason for going to university; it's a mindset geared towards slavery to the nine to five, and if you follow it, it'll make study a grind, a pain, and you'll end up hating whatever you're studying.  

Go because you want to learn what they have to teach, and just make sure that what they have to teach is what you want to learn; some universities these days are just java-programmer factories.

Disclaimer: I am saying this from the shores of Australia, where I've not found my own lack of a degree (I attended 2 years of BMech/BCS before withdrawing) to be a barrier of entry to the workforce. The US is likely quite different.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2003, 10:04am »

i agree with glen. and i have a bunch of friends that are lawyers, economists, medical doctors, all unemplyed. and their faculties are packed with people (which is the other side of the problem, excessive offer). and myself, weird professional profile, unemployed as well (write to victor@00forward.com if you have a job for me, and come here if you want to know what i can do, hehe)

i do think one should study what one wants to do. do you want to code? then study programming, or compsci, or just start programming.

i heard there's a huge demand for barbers and hairdressers in spain, though...

ps: do you really want to limit your marketplace to the US? the world might be full of opportunities... i heard they're hiring programmers like crazy in germany and korea...
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2003, 10:08am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »