FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   proce55ing on linux ppc?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: proce55ing on linux ppc?  (Read 479 times)
muxspace

proce55ing on linux ppc?
« on: Jul 29th, 2003, 7:18am »

Hello,  

I'm reviewing proce55ing as an element of a graduate java course and am having difficulties running the executable on my box.  I downloaded the linux tarball for proce55ing for my gentoo ppc linux box and have discovered that it doesn't work so well.  A quick look at the binary Proce55ing file indicates that it expects i386 arch -- doh.

I snooped around the binary and tried executing the java app by itself:
  $ java -cp lib:lib/build:lib/pde.jar:lib/kjc.jar:lib/oro.jar:java/lib/ext/comm.jar PdeBase

This command actually launches the app, but I get 2 significant errors.

1. java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/javax.comm.properties (No such file or directory)
Here you can get some insight into my java environment.  The blackdown JDK does not have any javax.comm.properties.  Is this file significant?  Due to the nature of non-standard directory structure of java in OS X, I cannot glean much information from the Mac side of things.

2. Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 674
  at java.awt.Toolkit$SelectiveAWTEventListener.eventDispatched(Toolkit.java: 1520)
  at java.awt.Toolkit.notifyAWTEventListeners(Toolkit.java:1390)
This one is happening continuously over the main text windows as mouse events are captured.  Top menus work okay.

So the big question is, what's in the binary and is it something that I can fix for ppc linux?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

fry

Re: proce55ing on linux ppc?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 1:50am »

heh, sorry about the architecture thing. a bit philistine of me to assume all the linux ppl were on i386 i'll change the download page for the next release.

the binary is simply a tiny stub that launches the vm with the parameters you used. if you send email to the address on the download page, i'll send you a copy of the .c file if you'd like, though there's not much to it.

re: the FileNotFoundException, it's for serial port support, but it's not a necessity. are there line numbers on the stack trace? if so i can modify it to handle the error a little better.

re: the ArrayIndexOutOfBounds.. are there more lines to that exception? not sure where that's hitting our code or what it would be doing. looks like it could be a blackdown issue, but having fought with cross-platform workarounds for the last several days, i'm sure it could be just about anything.

muxspace

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 5:51pm »

lol.  there is a teeny weenie minority of ppc linux users, and we're gaining some momentum.  Here are some more details regarding the errors.

1. File not found.
There is no line number for the error; guess you'll have to grep the source.  Have you thought about using log4j?

2. Event dispatching exception.
Here is the full trace for the error.
-----
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 674
  at java.awt.Toolkit$SelectiveAWTEventListener.eventDispatched(Toolkit.java: 1520)
  at java.awt.Toolkit.notifyAWTEventListeners(Toolkit.java:1390)
  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2507)
  at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventToSelf(Container.java:1233)
  at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:2449)
  at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.trackMouseEnterExit(Container.java:2314)
  at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:2189)
  at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:2125)
  at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1200)
  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:2497)
  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:339)
  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThrea d.java:131)
  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread. java:9
  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:85)
-----

It looks like you're using Swing widgets which might be causing the problem.  I couldn't get the JUnit swingui to start up for various reasons, but the AWT version works (primitively).

The errors only happen in the panes below the menu.  None of the buttons work in those panes either.  Upon further inspection, I can actually still type in the editor window (syntax highlighting works) and run the code.  

Maybe I'll just have to append '> /dev/null 2>&1' to the start-up command .

Hope this helps.  

Brian

PS.  I can lend a hand in fixing it when you open up the source.

muxspace

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:49pm »

Hello again,

I didn't realize that 'changing the download page on the next release' meant isolating proce55ing to only i386 systems.  No worries, I wrote a shell script to use a system JRE and Jikes (if available) for PPC systems.  It probably would work on others.  I'm wondering if there is a place I can post the script for others to use, or should I just throw a message on the forum somewhere (which forum?) with a link.

Cheers,
Brian

fry

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 1:06am »

if you'd be willing to make a small web page that describes the process of getting it up and running on linux-ppc, i'd be happy to put it on the site and link it from the download page as part of a 'contributed' section.

we've had nibbles here and there about getting the thing to run on different platforms, so it'd probably be useful to get a 'contributed platforms' section started.

fwiw, i meant no offense by changing the link to linux-x86, i'm just super limited on how much time i have to test across different platforms and wanted things to be clear. i want p5 to run on as many platforms as is possible, so i'd hate to discourage that from happening.

muxspace

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 3:58am »

Hi Fry,

I put up a page on my web site with instructions on running Proce55ing on PPC Linux and a link to the shell script I wrote.  The script replaces the processing script in the base directory.

The page is located here:  
  http://muxspace.com/bits/P5/

Hope it helps.

As a suggestion it would be nice to have an 'expert' version of the linux release that doesn't contain a bundled JRE and Jikes.  I imagine there are a number of Linux users that would prefer this.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »