FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   The Fun; and languages.
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: The Fun; and languages.  (Read 471 times)
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
The Fun; and languages.
« on: Feb 28th, 2003, 1:38pm »

hey guys,

some of u might like the stuff here - http://www.play-create.com/

btw, a question cast out to all of you who have used actionscript/flash/director, and processing... which one do you get more fun out of using, and why?

-jacob

tomek

WWW Email
Re: The Fun; and languages.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 2nd, 2003, 4:57pm »

There is another thread on this board where a few people discussed some of the language comparison issues:

http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_general_action_displ_ay_num_1040960962.html

Some of of the opinions are obviously preference driven, but I think this is an important question that is probably asked by majority of beginners: which language/platform should I start with Let's say you are an art/design student that just stumbled upon the computational media design concepts and all you want to do is start learning how to create yourself. If you're new to technology/programming the huge number of buzzwords out there can get you discouraged. I think that this discussion is an important one to provide some guidance for uninitiated.

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 2:21pm »

ahh, but my question was about enjoyment.

perhaps not within the enthused confines of this board, but many programmers starting out tend to learn languages that will get them a job, etc. i know the architecture students over here only want to know about AutoCAD because that's the industry standard. they may not find some language or program they actually really enjoy until much later on.

XemonerdX

3701800137018001 WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 12:48pm »

I enjoy Flash ActionScript the most cuz I know it decently well, know its (and Flash's) limitations and can get the results I want fairly quickly and with ease... Together with PHP it's been by far the easiest language to pick up (for me)... Ofcourse it's slow as hell (which is fun too, trying to push it to the max, optimizing code/algo's, etc), hehehe... I also enjoy learning/playing with other languages/environments such as Java, Processing, DBN, Alambik, etc, but I can't really say I am very proficient at any of them, but I'm slowly learning... It's always great to create something you enjoy tho, no matter what language it is... I think the learning part is equally as much fun as the creating part, at least for me, regardless of what language it is...

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 1:38am »

until P5, i had a great time, and a great deal of time involved with lingo. since i didn't consider myself a programmer, i enjoyed WISIWIG programs, and i picked up from actionscript, javascript, html, perl, you name it, just the amount that let me work within an independence margin (read: what i needed to do what i had to do). but particularly lingo let me do more of what i wanted (needed) to do.

then, lingo has it's counterassets. this "late" coming of age of the vectorial paradigm to internet and beyond (as pressumably questioned first in negroponte's being digital) made me switch recently to flash and actionscript, as well, for the fun (knowledge) of it.

but P5 opens a new door. before P5, my projects were a joint venture of flash, director and some external technologies, since each one of them was about right for some of the work, some of the use, some of the data. with P5, the barrier was melted (at least to me) and now the vectorial, the pixellated and the 3d worlds they no longer border one from each other.

so it means that if, maybe, i cannot have MORE fun (due to my lack of javawise knowledge), at least i can have more fun-per-minute, and enjoy an panuniverse of technologies applied to the computational art and design crave that i yet have to satisfy in me.

edit: (fancy words for "i enjoy P5 and java the most, 'cause is the new kid in town")
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2003, 1:40am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2003, 3:44pm »

I like your 'more fun-per-minute' phrase. I think it summarizes well Proce55ing. It should become a tagline that distinguishes it from Lingo/ActionScript, etc...

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »